Crown Agents USA Current jobs for a Customs Advisor June 30 2013
Crown Agents USA, Inc. (CA-USA) is seeking a Customs Advisor for the NEXTT project located in Abuja, Nigeria.
Crown Agents is an international development company with offices in more than 30 countries, employing over 600 personnel worldwide. Crown Agents provides direct assistance, management consulting, and human and institutional development for public and private sector clients, particularly in customs and trade facilitation, public financial management, procurement, logistics, and health systems strengthening. Crown Agents currently operates in more than 85 countries on projects with an annual value of more than $181 million.
Crown Agents USA (CA-USA), the U.S. incorporated subsidiary of CA Group, provides direct procurement services, technical assistance, and training to improve health outcomes, establish good governance, and stimulate economic growth across the developing world. Established practice areas include Health, Supply Chain Services, Food Security and M&E. Since its incorporation in the United States in 1998, CA-USA has provided technical assistance services and support to U.S. Government agencies and international organizations such as the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), the U.S. Trade and Development Agency (USTDA), and the Gates Foundation.
Crown Agents USA (CA-USA) is an implementing partner for the Nigeria Expanded Trade and Transport Program (NEXTT). NEXTT will improve trade policy, support trade capacity building, and remove bottlenecks to promote the free flow of products and agricultural goods. NEXTT builds on and extends trade and transport activities begun under the USAID MARKETS (Maximizing Agriculture Revenue in Key Enterprise and Target Sites) project, and on the export promotion activities of the Nigeria Expanded Exports Program (NEEP). NEXTT will contribute to food security and poverty reduction in Nigeria and support regional trade and transportation objectives by facilitating trade flows. It supports the African Growth and Opportunities Act (AGOA) and complements agricultural productivity improvement efforts under the United States government’s (USG) Feed-the-Future food security initiative.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Customs Advisor will work closely with stakeholders on the Nigeria NEXTT program to modernize customs and trade initiatives while enhancing revenue and border protection, facilitating legitimate trade, and improving national trade flows.
As the primary Crown Agents USA point of contact in Nigeria, the Customs Advisor will assist in the overall management of the program to include oversight, coordination, and direct contributions on an as needed basis including, but not limited to:
• Provide training on benchmarking the effectiveness of trade facilitation measures against existing metrics.
• Facilitate meetings on the implications of benchmarking for customs modernization activities.
• On an annual basis, assess the capacity and effectiveness of trade facilitation and customs.
• Conduct needs assessment for the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) on legislative processes.
• Facilitate working group series with members of the inter-ministerial and legislature on finalization and passage of the NCS act.
• Conduct capacity building workshops for NCS officials in developing an efficient and effective risk management system.
• Participate in the organizational strategic plan for improved risk management procedures.
• Provide recommendations on the development of a tariff and valuation unit.
• Conduct consultative workshops between NCS and the private sector on risk management and process design in automated customs clearance processes.
• In conjunction with team members, assess and carry out training needs on automated customs clearance.
• Draft implementing regulations procedures for authorized economic officers and preferred traders.
• Provide technical assistance to the NCS to disseminate training to the trading community.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or a related field required.
• Master’s Degree preferred.
• Seven or more years related experience in the design and implementation of customs regulations, procedures, and processes.
• Proven skills in representation, liaison, and collaboration with government, and private organizations; familiarity with the national customs service in Nigeria preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and facilitate customs activities in a multi-cultural environment.
• Related work history training, mentoring and advising peers on customs procedures.
• Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Extensive, related experience managing customs and trade facilitation processes issues including implementing effective policies, procedures, and best practices.
• Experience and knowledge of the organizational set up of a national customs administration.
• Former experience implementing customs and trade facilitation reform projects in Nigeria preferred; knowledge of customs and trade facilitation reform projects on the African continent considered.
• Knowledge of performing updates to ASYCUDA or similar electronic customs clearance systems.
• Experience and knowledge of USAID funded programs preferred.
To apply to this position, please email your CV to email@example.com. Include your name, along with the title of the position you are applying for, in the subject line. Visit our website at www.crownagentsusa.com for more information about our company. No phone calls, faxes or walk-ins please. Crown Agents USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Crown Agents USA will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with qualified disabilities in accordance with the ADA and local labor law as applicable. If you require a reasonable accommodation for our application process, please contact our Recruiting department directly. Requests will be kept confidential and shared strictly on a need-to-know basis only.
Follow these topics: NGO and Governmental Agencies