Entry Level Monitoring and Evaluation Intern at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Intern – ISING
Location: Biu, Borno
General Position Summary
- I-SING project is a 2 year funded project by the EU- Trust fund.
- The position is based in Biu with possible travel to Gombe and Maiduguri on a regular basis. The project’s focus is on adolescent girls and boys using the safe spaces model.
- The project works with IDPs, returnees and the host community.
- The overall objective of the program is to improve the safety, livelihoods and personal agency of adolescent girls in North East Nigeria.
General Position Summary
- The M&E intern will assist the M&E Officer in the day-to-day implementation of all program activities in the areas of intervention.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Recognize opportunities for learning and take initiative to learn and participate in capacity building opportunities in the organization.
- Support the M&E officer, in data collection and collation.
- Good of data management skills
- Support in conducting spot checks for mentors and coordinators, whilst collecting data on attendance
- Work closely with ISING M&E officer for filing/archiving documentation both softcopies and hardcopies.
- Support the M&E officer in data cleaning as requested.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Under supervision raise PR’s for any trainings and workshops
- Assist the M&E officer in data collection from all its project implementation communities
- Track all the items that shall be purchased for the use of safe spaces such as training material, and refreshments
- Other duties that may be assigned.
Finanace and Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Responsible for expenditure tracking of activities carried out in the field
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with the community, government and other stakeholder’s
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly To: The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
- Works Directly With: Program Manager and with other I-SING officers in the program
Knowledge and Experience
- 1-2 years of working experience. Previous experience in community work is highly preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa and bura/babur is required
- Proven ability to develop and maintain good relation with the local communities and project beneficiaries.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing and reporting
- Bachelor degree in relevant field or equivalent experience is highly recommended
- Strong Work Ethic- Having the ability to learn the most efficient way of learning to complete tasks and finding ways to save time while completing daily assignments.
- Dependability and Responsibility-Having the ability to come to work on time, is there when S/he are supposed to be, and responsible for their actions and behavior.
- Adaptability- Being adaptable and maintaining flexibility in completing tasks in an ever-changing workplace.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours .
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- If any company or recruiter demands money from you, please report to us immediately.
Application Deadline 27th June, 2017.