Entry Level WASH Assistants Job in an International NGO
ZOA is an international NGO which offers Relief& to people who are affected by conflict or natural disasters. ZOA wants to contribute to a new perspective of hope in which people work together for a promising future in dignity and mutual trust. Apeldoorn ZOA operates in fifteen countries in Africa, Middle East Region and Asia. ZOA works approximately with 1000 employees worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting date: As soon as possible
- ZOA recently started setting up operations in Nigeria, supporting IDPs of Boko Haram affected states. ZOA starts up operations from Maiduguri.
- In the selection of the beneficiaries, we pay careful attention to include the most vulnerable households.
- Continuously promoting community governance, inclusion, peace and stability in these fragmented and traumatized communities is a challenging but essential part of ZOA’s programme.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- In close collaboration with the WASH officer and Project Manager, plan, organize and carry out daily hygiene promotion activities within ZOA area of interventions in line with agreed work plans, strategies and methodologies.
- Take part in the identification of beneficiaries for the WASH activities (Toilet construction / rehabilitation, distribution of water tanks and water filters, distribution of hygiene kits).
- Conduct Population data surveys and Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAP) surveys related to hygiene and provide inputs for the development of the questionnaires and methodology.
- Enter data in the Analysis Software / database.
- Contribute to weekly and monthly reports and other ad hoc reports to meet donor and internal requirements; maintain an accurate reporting and data management of activities (including an updated attendance sheets for HP sessions).
- Mobilize communities/IDPs population to participate in WASH construction/promotion activities as appropriate.
- Participate in the development of monitoring tools for the hygiene promotion activities
- Participate in the development of information, education and communication (IEC) materials relevant to the context; with appreciation of cultural norms and beliefs.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to ZOA and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
- Develop key productions to increase ZOA’s communication within local communities in Maiduguri to promote program activities and increase awareness and acceptance;
- Support transportation and distribution of hygiene promotion materials and other in kind WASH supplies.
- Assist in organizing and conducting trainings to community mobilizers to carry the conversation around water in the community on water safety and safe sources (the use of only chlorinated water); water handling (including storage of drinking water at household’s), water usage and management; and potential contamination/pollution in the environment, associated with flooding, water logging and drainage problems
- Sensitize communities on good hygiene practices with key messages focusing on handwashing, safe disposal of solid wastes and excreta, latrine cleaning, diarrheal diseases prevention, etc. as adopted from time to time depending on the prevailing public health situations.
- He/she will conduct the HP sessions in the targeted areas including the HP sessions addressing the children to help them acquire safer hygiene behaviour.
- Assist the WASH officer/Project Manager in implementing the behaviour change methodology (PHAST) and CHAST for the WASH programs.
- Assist in conducting the WASH assessments to determine scope of work, resource requirement and estimated cost, including in the identification public health risks in the community.
- Conduct household surveys in order to identify newcomers and new participants to the Hygiene Promotion sessions.
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the WASH officer or WASH Project Manager.
- Any other duty that is reasonably consistent with the key tasks of the function.
- Community members and community leaders;
- Vendors and contractors;
- Any other stakeholders in project implementation at community level;
- Project staff;
- ZOA office staff;
Requirements, Knowledge, Experience
- Minimum of Diploma in Environment Health Science, Water Engineering or WASH related course from recognized institution.
- Strong competence in English, Hausa, Kanuri and / or Shuwa Arab will be an added advantage
- Proven skills in computer programs (Word, Excel; minimum)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent skills in report writing and meeting date lines
- Demonstrated ability to work in volatile environment
- At least 1-2 years’ previous experience in implementing hygiene promotion
- Knowledge of SPHERE minimum standard, humanitarian principles and protection mainstreaming in WASH intervention
- The candidate is expected to support the identity, vision, and mission of ZOA.
ZOA offers you a challenging job, an inspiring and motivated team and good benefits and remuneration which suits the charities sector.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s to: email@example.com Please write ‘WASH Assistant, Maiduguri’ in the subject of your application