The Population Council is a not-for-profit organization that performs biomedical, public health, and social science research. The organization focuses on areas such as HIV and AIDS; poverty, gender, and youth; and reproductive health. Specifically, it conducts research on sociological topics like gender inequality, population trends, and sexuality education; it also assists international governments with policy and program development as they pertain to these issues. The Population Council has more than 15 offices in more than 60 countries around the world. It is typically funded by governments, foundations, individuals, and other organizations. The council was founded in 1952 by John D. Rockefeller III.
Job TItle: Research Officer
The candidate for this position will provide technical and administrative follow up on research activities under the maternal and newborn health portfolio in Nigeria. Strong candidates will have a background in public health research, strong written and inter-personal communication skills, good organizational skills, exhibit flexibility and a willingness to learn, and experience working in Nigeria and on topics maternal and newborn health topics. The ideal candidate will be experienced in data collection, management, and analysis and will work closely with the Senior Research Analyst to ensure the timely, ethical, and quality research under Ending Eclampsia and Fistula Care Plus projects in Nigeria
- Assist in development of a database for capturing data collected from the field.
- Support field research activities for Ending Eclampsia, Fistula Care Plus, and HRH projects.
- Support implementation and monitoring of project activities.
- Contribute to drafting research reports as appropriate.
- Support coding and analysis of qualitative data using Nvivo.
- Prepare tables and charts for populating results of analysis.
- Proactively bring to the attention of supervisor any pending tasks.
- Submit monthly update on all deliverables to the supervisor.
- Support data entry and analysis for Ending Eclampsia and Fistula Care Plus projects activities using EpiData, CSPro, SPSS and other similar programs.
- Undertake data cleaning and storage according to standard operating procedures.
- Support recruitment, training, and supervision of data collectors and data entry clerks.
- Contribute to team’s work planning and implementation.
- Assist in any other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in health-related discipline, computer science, mathematics, or social science and at least five years’ work experience in data entry and analysis or graduate degree in similar field and two years’ work experience in data entry and analysis.
- Knowledge of implementation science research methods and quantitative and qualitative research methodologies.
- Strong knowledge of quantitative data analysis using SPSS or STATA and familiarity with qualitative data analysis and NVivo software.
- Strong computer literacy, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Experienced in monitoring and evaluation and database management.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and under deadline, manage time efficiently, troubleshoot, prioritize, multi-task, and respond to rapidly changing priorities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply