Logistics Assistant Job at United Nations World Food Programme
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Logistics Assistant (Port Operations) SSA 5
- This job is found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) and Country Offices (COs) and Area/Field Offices. Job holders report to Logistics Officer, a Head of Unit, or the designate.
- At this level, job holders are expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices for all assistance modalities for both WFP and logistics common services. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other support staff.
- To implement well-defined standard logistics/supply chain processes and activities to enable effective delivery of goods and services for all delivery modalities.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Assist in the co-ordination of dispatches of food as per dispatch plan and FIFO principle to avoid demurrage,detention charges, prolonged storage and damage of commodities.
- Capture and report the food movements in WFP corporate system (SAP)
- Monitoring and management of the disposal of spoiled commodities resulting from the reconditionning of damaged cargoes.
- Prepare the quarterly reports with KPI for the evalauation of the performances of C&F agents,superintendent and third party service providers.
- Maintain a proper filing system and archiving documents so they can be retrieved quickly and efficiently when needed.
- Maintain healthy and professional working relationships with agents of the superintendent, the freight-forwarder, port officials and other agents of the port up to get maximum cooperation to facilitate WFP operations, advising supervisors of need for intervention in case of any unforeseen problems pertaining to discharge and/or clearing operations.
- Follow-up of custom clearance procedures of all WFP shipments with clearing & forwarding agents in order to minimize transit delays in Lagos and maintaining a good response time for WFP operations.
- Tracking of all WFP containers arriving at the Lagos Ports (Apapa, Tincan), monitoring their destuffing/release to destinations and report/work on all containers with overdue laydays to the clearing Agents/hierarchie for preventive/corrective actions.
- Call for regular technical meetings with C&F agent and superintendent to identify and address bottlenecks of the operations before they surface.
- Provide day-to-day progress and movements of WFP shipments & Assist and advise on vessels movements and schedules.
- Co-ordinate and manage the food dispatch by clearing agents: monitor and assess quality, quantity and safety of the goods.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Other Post requirements (details to be determined by hiring manager).
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
Supply Chain Management and Optimization:
- Displays aptitude at monitoring and reporting on supply chain operations to enable teams to efficiently assess the performance and sustainability of current networks.
Planning, Project & Resource Management:
- Supports the planning, forecasting & resource management efforts of own team by collecting data from diverse sources.
Information Management & Reporting:
- Collates accurate and timely information and data to enable informed decision making on reporting within individual unit and consequently the greater humanitarian community.
Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution:
- Ability to collect and collate necessary information to enable WFP to make informed operational decisions.
Warehouse and Inventory Management:
- Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.
Technical Assistance and Coordination:
- Demonstrates awareness of the importance of technical assistance and coordination with key stakeholders and an ability to carry out logistics activities, respecting individual mandates and programme priorities.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary qualification in Logistics and/or Transport.
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
- Experience: At least 5 years work experience. Minimum of 3 years experience in Logistics, Transport, Administration or other related field.
- Knowledge: Good knowledge of Apapa and Tincan ports is an advantage.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role:
- Experience using corporate systems to monitor ongoing shipments, pipeline information, insurance claims, and food stock.
- Experience in assisting the preparation of contract documentation.
- Experience in providing technical business support in corporate systems.
- Experience analysing data (on commodities, funds, etc.) and drafting reports.
- Experience in measuring service providers’ performance against set KPIs.
Terms and Condition
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Applications to be submitted in online and in English only.
- Only nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence & work permits for Nigeria are eligible to apply.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply