Legal Counsel at Plan International – Lagos and Abuja
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Counsel
Job ID: 20047
Locations: Lagos and Abuja
Type of Role: Twelve month fixed term contract to support the Transformation Office
- We are looking to recruit a Legal Counsel to join the Legal Team and lead the work on the transformation and restructuring.
- The role will be an integral part of the Team and support Plan International’s offices globally across a broad range of legal issues, with their main focus on leading the reorganisation and restructuring work that Plan International will be undertaking across all of its offices over the next 2 years.
- Ideally the candidate will bring experience of working on restructurings and/or major reorganisations, and be able to demonstrate employment law/HR experience. The role will be for a fixed term of up to 2 years.
- The Governance & Executive Department is located in our International Headquarters in Woking and provides advice, support and representation on legal issues, furthering the delivery of Plan International’s strategy, ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory requirements by Plan International, Inc. and its subsidiaries and advising on good governance and the effective management of legal risk throughout Plan International.
You Will Ensure That:
- Plan International is well positioned to implement its purpose and its 5 year strategy of 100 Million Reasons through;
- Plan International is well advised on the legal issues affecting its operations in the UK, the US and the other jurisdictions in which Plan operates and has the information necessary to properly evaluate and manage legal risk.
- Plan International is aware of legal and regulatory developments that may impact its operations and is prepared to respond or change its behaviour, systems or processes accordingly.
- Staff and volunteers understand Plan International’s legal policies and are aware of the key external legal and regulatory requirements applicable to activities for which they are responsible
- Plan International understands its contractual commitments and is well advised on how to protect and promote its interests contractually
- A qualified lawyer (ideally UK or US qualified), you will be experienced at providing legal advice internationally on a diverse range of issues, in particular relating to major reorganisations and restructuring, with knowledge and understanding of the legal and compliance issues regarding employment and HR.
- Skilled at using your legal expertise to develop and implement legal or governance systems, processes and policies to solve problems and identify and implement pragmatic solutions, you will think and advise strategically.
- Highly effective at coordinating and leading on global project across multiple complex jurisdictions running in parallel and working effectively with other teams to deliver on project successfully, you are a collaborative team player, influencing and building strong relationships across a wide range of people at all levels.
- This role requires a flexible, proactive and resilient approach.
Application Closing Date
21st July, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online