Vacancies at Yaba College of Technology
Yaba College of Technology – Established in 1947, Yaba College of Technology is the oldest and leading institution of higher learning in Nigeria, with all its national and higher national diploma programmes duly accredited by the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE).
Applications are invited from qualified candidates for the post below at the Yaba College of Technology, which will become vacant in December, 2017:
- The Rector is the Chief Academic, Administrative and Accounting Officer of the Polytechnic. He has power to exercise general authority over both staff and students.
- He is also responsible for discipline in the polytechnic, subject to the general control of the Governing Council. In addition to proven management and leadership experience, the successful candidate must have a demonstrable passion for academic endeavour and be credible to the college.
Qualities and Qualifications
The candidate for the post is expected to possess the following academic qualifications and personal qualities:
- Must have a Masters or a Doctorate degree in any of the disciplines offered in the college with a minimum of fifteen (15) years of professional and administrative experience: at least, five of which must have been gained in an institution of comparable status;
- Must be a Chief Lecturer with not less than five (5) years experience on that grade;
- Must provide evidence of scholarly publications in reputable journals as well as presentation of invited papers of educational conferences, seminars and/or workshops;
- Must be able to attract research grants and development facilities to the college;
- Must be a person with initiative and vision for sustaining the accelerated pace of development of the college, even under financial and other challenging constraints;
- Must be a fair-minded and dynamic individual, who will not pursue racial, ethnic, gender, political, religious or other sectional interests and one with an impeccable reputation;
- Must not be more than 60 years of age at the time of assumption of office, in December, 2017.
- Must demonstrate evidence of strong academic, administrative and visionary leadership, initiative and creativity in positive managerial attributes;
- Must belong to recognized and reputable professional body(ies)/Association(s).
- Must enjoy excellent physical and mental health (with evidence from a government hospital);
- Must be proficient in Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
- Must present a vision statement on how to develop Yaba College of Technology.
Terms of Appointment and Conditions of Service
- The appointment is for a term of four years in the first instance and renewable, subject to satisfactory performance, for another term of four years and no more.
- The salary is consolidated and the appointee shall enjoy other benefits of office as may be approved from time to time by the Federal Government.
- Whatever the situation, the Rector must/shall retire compulsorily at the age of 65 years.
- Appointment and conditions of service of the Rector are governed by the provision of Federal Polytechnic Act, mentioned above and as may be amended from time to time
Job Title: Registrar
- The Registrar is responsible to the Rector for the day to day administration of the College.
- Takes charge of the Registry
- Takes charge of keeping statutory and other relevant records of the institution.
- Functions as Secretary to the Governing Council and all its Committees.
- Functions as Secretary to the Academic Board.
- Interprets and applies rules and regulations of the Polytechnic.
The prospective applicant must:
- Hold at least a good honours degree in Art, Social Science or Humanities.
- Must not be more than 60 years of age at the time of assumption of office, in October 2017.
- Present evidence of Physical and Medical fitness (from a Government Hospital)
- Present evidence of Community Service.
- He/She should possess evidence of sound human relations, professional competence, industry, integrity, efficient management of human and material resources.
- Have at least eighteen (18) years post qualification cognate experience, plus membership of recognized relevant professional body.
- He/She must have occupied the position of a Deputy Registrar for a period of not less than 5 (five) years in a higher institution of learning.
- The Registrar must be a person of proven integrity
- He/She must be loyal to the Chief Executive and the Council, and assist effectively in the running of the affairs of the Polytechnic.
- He/She must be intellectually and professionally sound and knowledgeable in the Rules and Regulations of Polytechnic System.
- He/She must also be vast in Public Service rules and computer literate.
Terms of Appointment and Conditions of Service
- Shall hold office for a period of five years in first instance and on such terms and conditions as may be specified in his letter of appointment;
- Whatever the situation, the Registrar must/shall retire compulsorily at the the age of 65 years.
- May be re-appointed for a further period of five years or more.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications with twenty (20) typewritten copies of their Curriculum Vitae (CV), giving the details in the following order:
- Full Name with Surname underlined;
- Date and place of birth
- State of Origin/Local Government
- Nationality &how acquired;
- Marital Status;
- Number& ages of children;
- Current Postal Address including telephone number & email;
- Educational institutions attended with dates;
- Academic/ Professional qualifications obtained with dates;
- Membership of Professional Body(ies)/Association(s);
- Academic/Scholarly publications (in standard format);
- A short and concise write up on his/her own vision for Yaba College of Technology;
- Other activities outside current employment;
- Names and addresses of three (3) Referees who are to forward confidential reports on them directly to the Registrar and Secretary to Council.
Referees should be able to attest to the candidate’s claims to high academic, managerial and leadership capabilities as well as their notable uprightness.
Applicants must be ready to support every claim with documentary evidence (where applicable) and bring the originals of all their credentials, if invited for interview.
All applications are to be submitted in a sealed envelope and marked ‘Post of Rector’ on the top left hand corner, addressed to:
Yaba College of Technology,
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.