COOPI Vacancies for Nutrition Managers
COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Manager
Locations: Yobe and Borno
Context and Background
- Since the declaration of state of emergency in the Nigerian federal States of Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa, the escalation of the Boko Haram insurgency has led to multiple displacement crises, with communities fleeing their area of origin to take refuge in camps or host communities.
- Given the unfolding large scale emergency in the north eastern Nigeria, COOPI plans to scale up its current operations in Yobe state and reach newly accessible areas, in addition to areas receiving Nigerian returnees from Niger, with its multi-sectoral services including food security, cash transfer programming, nutrition and protection.
- Furthermore, COOPI plans to set-up operations to extend its humanitarian services to affected populations in Borno state, including the capital Maiduguri and newly accessible areas in the state, where the most vulnerable populations are stuck with insufficient basic services to respond to their immediate needs in a dignified manner.
- The goal of this programme is to support the set up and improve CMAM and IYCF services to safeguard the nutritional and health status of infants and children in northern Nigeria.
- The Nutrition Manager will be responsible for overseeing the overall implementation of the programme activities and the management of nutrition programme staff.
- The Nutrition Manager will provide input into the strategic vision and direction to the COOPI nutrition programme in northern Nigeria, including allocation of resources and ensuring that appropriate monitoring are maintained at all levels, that programme implementation is on track and that outputs are being delivered.
- The nutrition manager is responsible for designing, overseeing and coordinating the nutrition programs, as well as liaising with various external partners. S/he reports to head of mission.
- The set of activities in a nutrition programs includes:
- Community based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) approach
- IYCF promotion activities
- Assessments and surveillance interventions (nutrition surveys using ENA for SMART, coverage surveys using SQUEAC methodology, KAP surveys)
- Capacity building of local staff and local partners
- Community mobilization
- B.Sc or equivalent in Health/Public Health/Nutrition
- A qualified Doctor, Nutritionist, Nurse with Primary Health Care and Nutrition experience
- Demonstrable management experience, including budget holding responsibility
- Minimum of 3 years of previous experience working with NGOs specifically on CMAM and infant and young child feeding programmes
- Experience of designing and implementation programmes, including monitoring and evaluation methodologies (SQUEAC, LQAs)
- Experience in conducting nutrition assessments (SMART, KAP surveys) and an understanding of nutritional data and information systems
- Proven capacity to supervise, train, motivate and coach staff
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions
- Prepared to work in an uncertain security environment
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel and stay in the field
- Commitment to and understanding of COOP mission, values and principles
- Experience and ability to represent COOPI nutrition work in external meetings
- Demonstrable ability at report writing and excellent communication skills
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office software including Word and Excel as well as email/internet
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Prior experience working for humanitarian agencies
- Knowledge of the operational area
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 9th August, 2017.