Job at Mercy Corps for a WASH/SHELTER Engineer
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH/SHELTER Engineer Officer
Location: Biu, Borno State.
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps, an international humanitarian NGO and has been operating in Nigeria since 2012 is looking for the WASH engineer officer for Water, Sanitation & Hygiene project focusing on key issues, which have demanded immediate attention within the water and sanitation sector and will support the improvement of Water and Sanitation conditions, rehab and build new latrine ,shower, septic tank, drilling borehole and set up water point, familiar with water network designing and rehabilitation, in designated locations and camp.
General Position Summary
The WASH engineer officer reports to the Senior WASH engineer. She/he will be responsible for the following duties:
- Perform all tasks related to water points and sanitation facilities construction and rehabilitation, build new latrine, rehab water borehole and construct new one, set-up water points, good planning for water distribution in the targeted area;
- Ensure that the water supply and sanitation facilities construction and rehabilitation meet the safety standards;
- Supervise the installment, maintenance, service and repair of water supply systems, water storage facilities, sewerage network, pumps, and other allied equipment;
- Periodically inspect ongoing projects and report to the Senior WASH engineer on progress, timelines and any setbacks or alterations that may occur; Inspect engineering works carried out by civilian contractors and ensure all stages are completed satisfactorily prior to payment.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist and monitor the quality of rehabilitation, construction, and implementation of appropriate water points (boreholes) and sanitation facilities in the target area.
- Contribute to the assessment and development of appropriate technologies for the water and sanitation program of Mercy Corps in targeted area.
- Work with the Senior WASH engineer and PM to improve the technologies already in use as well as their implementation process.
- Be able to design water points, secure the water points, latrines, and septic tank (or pit latrine), prepare BoQ, Scope of work familiar with tender invitation, tender document, contract, service contract.
- Perform all tasks related to water supply and sanitation facilities construction and rehabilitation in the targeted area
- Responsible for the daily implementation of water sanitation activities and progress at assigned work sites;
- Provide support to Senior WASH engineer for action plans for project implementation – including all technical specifications for project implementation. In collaboration with the Program Manager;
- Develop and maintain good lines of communication and relationships with local authorities and the local community.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of project implementation, ensure they are completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner according to standard engineering methods BOQ, SOW, and design
- Ensure a safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation.
- Prepare the reports related to the performance of water equipment in the field including main water supply, and distribution in targeted area.
- Monitoring visits to the field to ensure the proper function and use of provided WASH facilities
- Monitor and ensure the quality of job of skilled and unskilled labors.
- Assist in preparation of scope of works for water and waste water systems by providing field based input.
- Periodically inspect ongoing projects and report to the Senior WASH engineer and PM on progress, timelines and any setbacks or alterations that may occur.
- Assist in preparation of technical evaluations.
- Communicate with water partners to share experience and learn about alternative
- technologies and techniques.
- Follow all MC protocols and regulations according to guidance provided by the direct supervisor.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibility: All WASH activities in targeted area
- Reports Directly to: Senior WASH engineer
- Complete routine progress reports and submit reports as required by supervisor;
- Provide weekly progress reports on implementation to supervisor;
- Works Directly with Operation, Logistics, and Finance
- Cooperate and coordinate with all project staff to ensure good internal coordination and subsequent high quality project selection, implementation and management.
- Assist MC management with any requests for information or data regarding program expansion or development.
- Coordinate with MC staff of non-engineering projects that may be present in the assigned locations.
- Professionalism: Thorough knowledge of water supply and sanitation facilities construction and rehabilitation.
- Self-starter, flexible, resilient and a sense of humor
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage effective working relationships in multi-cultural environment
- Pro-active and able to work independently to complete project tasks
- Maintain effective communications with the local authorities and local community.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of daily project implementation.
- Ensure regular filed monitoring visits of targeted area and provide on job support & monitoring of selected contractors.
- Attention to detail and ability to follow through on task assignments
- Experience working with water and/or sanitation projects.
- Explore alternative technologies that promote water conservation
- Build the capacity of the community to manage limited water resources.
- Good English language (written and spoken).
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering. Water engineering, Civil engineering or related degree
- Minimum of three years professional experience in implementing emergency response programs in a humanitarian setting, particularly in the WASH sector;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Ability to engage with local communities in rural areas.
- Physically able to spend the long periods of time in the field.
- Ability to think independently and problem solve.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Honest, hardworking and committed to community development.
- Previous humanitarian experience. At least 2 years of experience in water supply and sanitation facilities construction and rehabilitation.
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
- Knowledge on WASH promotion, and ability to develop training on the topic.
- Experience with standard techniques and practices for maintenance of various types of water and sanitation facilities required.
- Familiar with sphere standard
- The successful candidate will be able carry on the vision of the engineering department; provide leadership and motivation; be a team player; be able to train and capacity-build staff; ensure that projects are planned appropriately and delivered to a high quality.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Application Deadline: 11th August, 2017.