Job at Oxfam Nigeria for Public Health Engineering Officer
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Health Engineering Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Department: Humanitarian Job Family: Programme Technical
Reports To: International PHE TL
Staff reporting to this post: PHE Assistants
Duration: Five (5) months with possibility of extension
- To enable Oxfam quickly respond to the Public Health Promotion needs of the conflict affected communities in the North East of Nigeria.
- The work involves in the immediate stage; assessment of the situation and the implementation of public health measures required to alleviate the plight of the people affected by the emergency in Nigeria.
- To protect public health of IDP’s and host communities in Borno, Adamawa, Gombe and Yobe States in North East Nigeria through delivery of an integrated WASH response.
- Leading a team of PHE assistants in coordination with Borno State PHP officers and PHE team leads to support the organization and implementation of full WASH responses in IDP camps and surrounding villages in mainly wider Maiduguri metropolis, and possible assist to other States (when needed) as part of a combined WASH/EFSL/Protection humanitarian programme.
- Work in coordination with project manager/team leader, PHP Officer and Finance Officer to arrange payments when necessary.
- Budget monitoring and planning of expenditure in line with budget
- Preparation of progress reports and report verbally and in writing to the PHE team leader as requested to advice on progress, constraints and any other issues that may impact on work plans
- Liaison and coordination with local government, RUWASA, village leaders, WASH cluster actors and other NGOs implementing projects in Borno State.
- Participate in needs assessment analysis in Borno State for emergency response activities
- Assisting in programme development and work plans, based on needs assessment and budget allocation supported by the Project Manager and Borno State PHE team lead.
- Under guidance from project manager/team leader, work closely with the PHP team to identify and mobilise members of the targeted communities to participate pro-actively and work on construction activities, monitoring and other activities.
- Ensure all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender issues. In particular to promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work
- Contribute to the writing of timely monthly activity reports on the project
Specific WASH Responsibilities
- Take the lead on WASH programme implementation including: water source development, water treatment, water quality testing, de-sludging activities, Wash infrastructure renovation, eventual household water treatment, latrine construction, hand washing facilities, hygiene promotion, focus group discussions, training of volunteers and members of local authorities.
- Ensure that all construction work, such as latrines and water points meet Oxfam standards and assist in ensuring that contractors and community members work to the required timescale. For example, under the Borno PHE Team leader guidance, take the lead to ensure a full design and BoQ is completed for all construction works that Oxfam supports in IDP camps and villages
- Assist in the bacteriological and chemical testing of water sources, water storage containers and household drinking water at the point of consumption as defined in the monitoring plan
- Ensure all monitoring data is accurately recorded in agreed MEAL formats and that results are analyzed and discussed within the project team and Borno humanitarian team in a timely manner
- Conduct other project surveys such as base, end line and sanitary surveys together with PHP staff as required by the project work plan
- Participate and support as required for the distribution of Hygiene Kits, sanitation kits and preparing distribution plans and required records
- Meet regularly with the PHE and PHP teams
- Work closely alongside the PHE and PHP to ensure a coordinated approach for monitoring
Educational/ Work Experience
- Engineering related first degree or its equivalent
- 3-5 years cognate experience
- Work experience will not substitute for a formal qualification
- Proven practical experience working in emergency context in appropriate water, sanitation program and community mobilisation is required.
Skills amd Competencies:
- Thorough knowledge of WASH interventions
- Good knowledge of appropriate technology for latrine construction, de-sludging and sludge treatment practices, water source development, solid waste management.
- Innovative ideas and approach
- Understanding of do no harm and conflict sensitive programming
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Team and contractor management skills
- Capacity building skills and ability to manage and deliver training
- Monitoring and reporting skills
- Experience of working in an insecure, sensitive and isolated environment
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity into emergency response programmes.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should email their Application letter and Curriculum Vitae as one attachment in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title as the subject of the email.
- Prospective candidate must be available and willing to commence work immediately.
- Applications sent in the required format will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 2nd August, 2017.