Job Openings at Street Child Nigeria
Street Child is a Non-governmental Organization based in United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Education Specialist
Location: FCT, Abuja, Adamawa, Borno, Yobe
Reports to: Program Manager and Program Director
Starting Date: 21st August, 2017
Contract Duration: 1 year
Specification: Nigerian Nationals Only
- Street Child is a UK charity working to protect vulnerable children and improve access to education in some of the poorest communities in the world.
- We were a key player in the Ebola crisis and led the global response for children orphaned by Ebola in Sierra Leone and Liberia.
- We deliver everything through local partners and, since 2008, together we have built/renovated 156 schools and are now helping to educate over 40,000 young people.
- Street Child works in the fields of education, child protection and livelihoods, working through sustainable solutions to stretch donations and create maximum impact.
- We work in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nepal and in the last few months Street Child has been involved in the Humanitarian response for Nigeria as well as, being partner of the Education in Emergency Working Group.
- Our work combines counselling, family mediation, business support, school building, and teacher training.
- The Education Specialist’s primary responsibility is to Support the implementation of Street Child education activities in North East Nigeria in order to guarantee the quality of formal and informal education services provided to forcibly displaced people and host communities.
- In this area, Street Child carries out primary education, temporary learning and teacher trainings, looking both at the short and long term impacts
- The position requires a strong background in Education, good communication skills, leadership, and the capacity to work with a team. Analytical thinking and the capacity to research innovative intervention methods, as well as creativity and flexibility are also expected.
- The Street Child Education Specialist will be a key member of the Senior Management Team.
- Coordinate and implement all the Education related project activities in collaboration with the Project Director and in liaison with schools, government and education agencies working on guaranteeing access to education services, and reinforcing the quality of the education provided.
- Responsible for carrying out the Needs Assessment for the education programme and the preparation of the proposals and reports in collaboration with the Project Director
- Design and oversee the implementation of innovative & individualized training programs for teachers, parents’ teachers’ association members and government education supervisors.
- Actively participate for the development of the Nigerian Education in Emergency Curricula with all the main stakeholders involved
- Design and coordinate workshops/education training activities for the JRS education programme.
- Monitor day-to-day activities in the education programme to ensure best practice is adhered to school & learning centers management, curriculum design and implementation, pedagogical monitoring, optimization of the teaching & learning process.
- Full responsibility for determining and, where required, designing, curricula and relevant teacher and student resources (e.g. textbooks etc).
- Responsible for setting all learning goals for students – and designing and implementing effective methods of measuring student progress.
- Keep the Project Director as well as the Program Manager informed on the activities of the project by providing relevant correspondence, reports and meeting minutes as well as making regular updates.
- Responsible for prompt submission of all Education department financial and narrative reports to the Project Accountant/Project Director.
- Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly, mid-year, and annual reports to the Project Director.
- Responsible for co-ordination and liaison between Street Child and other agencies/local government/local communities/displaced community as regards to Street Child’ Education programme in conjunction with the Project Director
- Represent Street Child at the stakeholders meeting as necessary e.g. Education Cluster Meeting
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills;
- Ability to positively influence others and successfully reconcile differences;
- An energetic team player who can effectively collaborate, and who can stand alone when necessary;
- Ability to work in international settings and with various departments to implement successful approaches to Education;
- A self-starter with a strong results orientation and with high levels of integrity, credibility and dependability;
- Demonstrated ability to work and deliver under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Commitment to Street Child mission, vision and values, and the ability to convey with enthusiasm Street Child’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and in advocating for their right to protection and a life in dignity;
- Willingness to work in flexible, sub-optimal, stressful and unstable environment.
- A resource and budget-sensitive approach – mindful of the need to balance high standards with the imperative stretching resource envelopes as far as possible, so as to benefit as many as possible of the hundreds of thousands of children in Liberia who presently lack, and are unlikely to acquire, these core life skills.
- High integrity, honesty and confidentiality; ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with situations, people and information;
- Acceptance of diversity and inclusion as a core value.
Qualification and Experience
- A University Degree in Education or equivalent.
- Experience (at least 4 years) working with NGO in primarily in education or education in emergencies and protracted crisis.
- Experience in managing people/teams.
- Experience in developing contents, manuals, training on education
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) and excellent writing skills
- Fluency in Hausa (written and spoken)
- Strong analytical, reporting, strategic thinking and planning skills
- Strong monitoring and evaluation skills/experience
- Knowledge of project cycle management
- Knowledge and ability to apply INEE standards
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Minimum 4 years’ of relevant professional experience as a manager within the humanitarian field including experience as an Advisor.
- Someone with solid experience in practicing education, with exposure to emergency education, and accelerated curriculum.
- Solid understanding of formal and informal education and developing programmes for refugee and IDP settings.
- Understanding of education frameworks with ministries.
- A team player with the ability to effectively work with and influence a diverse range of colleagues; possession of solid representation skills and proven analytical and communication skills.
Terms and Conditions
- Contract is for one year, renewable with an initial probationary period of five months.
- The Street Child remuneration policy is aligned with the Street Child ethos to offer effective and professional services and at the same time express solidarity with the people served.
- The salary is calculated with the use of a post-adjustment multiplier and takes into account years of relevant experience and degree of responsibility of the role. Details will be discussed with short-listed candidates.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and the following documents below to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Application for Education Specialist position” as the subject of e-mail.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English including three (3) professional references with their contact information, phone and email address.
- A cover letter describing the candidate’s desire and motivation to work for Street Child and how your qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position.
- Interviews will be offered before as applications are received as we are urgently looking to fill this role
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 10th August, 2017.