Jobs at Palladium International for Senior Managers
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Manager, Operations
Project Overview and Role
DFID appointed Palladium and its consortium members to manage implementation of the Nigerian Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Programme (MNCH2); which runs for 5 years from 1st June 2014 to 31st May 2019.
The objective of the programme is to achieve effective and efficient delivery of essential health care for pregnant women, new-borns and children, alongside routine immunisation. The programme will strengthen health system coordination through improved health sector planning and financing, and will increase demand for and access to high quality health services. The programme is working with government to build capacity within the public health system to enable sustainability beyond the immediate lifetime of the programme. Sustainable solutions should be sought for every output and outcome of this programme intervention.
This MNCH2 programme is delivering across the 6 DFID Northern Nigeria focus States (Kano, Kaduna, Katsina, Jigawa, Zamfara and Yobe); where the greatest population gains can be made and the largest burden of maternal, new-born and child mortality and unmet need for health care are located. Northern Nigeria is a fragile context, and some States, particularly Yobe and urban Kano, are affected by levels of violence which impede access to health services. The recipient of MNCH2 services is the people and Government of Nigeria, representing namely: the Federal and State Ministries of Health, and Local Governments.
Purpose of Position
- Reporting to the National Team Leader, the Senior Manager – Operations has overall in-country operations responsibility for the project. Senior Manager – Operations (SM OPs) is a senior representative of Palladium and a member of the programme senior management team and as such must ensure that operational risks are actively identified and minimised; company policies, processes and procedures are made known to the programme team and adhered to and that overall, the project is compliant with DFID policies, rules and regulations, e.g. DFID SMART Rules.
- Working closely with the Senior Manager Finance (SM Finance), Palladium corporate operations, the SM OPs ensures that internal as well as DFID operational and reporting requirements of the client are adhered to.
- The role works closely with and manages the project team of administrative professionals and other support staff within the programme and across consortium partners.
Specifically, the Senior Manager – Operations:
Strategic and Operational Planning:
- Working closely with the SM Finance, this position ensures preparation of the annual strategic plans; operational work plans and budgets; staffing plans; performance improvement plans and other plans as required is conducted timely in line with Palladium and DFID timelines and requirements;
- Ensures appropriate consultation in the development of operational plans (including consultation with the Project Operations Manager, the client, Consortium partners and other project stakeholders);
- With the SM Finance jointly monitors the implementation of approved annual work plan and budgets, in line with DFID requirements on budget and forecast variance
- Provides operational guidance, oversight and quality assurance for all project activities, outputs and deliverables;
- Assumes responsibility for administrative, operational and financial support required for the effective implementation of work plans on time, within budget, meeting client and stakeholder expectations and contractually compliant;
- Supports Team Leader in maintaining an up to date logs of issues and risks; works to resolve issues, manages and mitigates risks; and escalates material issues and risks as appropriate;
- Supervise and ensure value for money in programme planning and implementation including in contracting, procurement and management of grantees, sub-contractors and service providers;
- Works closely with the Deputy Team Leader – Results to ensure implementation and ongoing review and reporting of Value for Money (VfM);
Human Resource Management:
- Assumes overall responsibility for the effective and professional management of the operations team (including administrative, and HR staff);
- Leads, guides, mentors and manages the performance of direct reports and ensures appropriate leadership, guidance, mentorship and management of other operations staff;
- Participates as required in HR management including but not limited to recruitment and contracting, performance management, disciplinary and grievance proceedings, and learning and development;
- Ensures consistent implementation of company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Guidelines, Security Protocols and, where applicable, recommend modifications;
- Ensures the project operational activities provide and demonstrate good value for money;
Client Relationship and Stakeholder Management:
- Maintains excellent working relationship with the client and supports the Team Leader in Client communications and in agreement of the programme’s operational plans;
- Manages relationships with business partners, Palladium’s programme implementing partners and other project stakeholders as appropriate;
- Maintains regular communication with relevant stakeholders and ensure that reporting and critical programme issues are resolved in a timely manner;
Minimum Education and Experience Required:
- A Postgraduate qualification in Project Management, Human Resources Management, or other related discipline
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience, with specific experience managing large DFID-funded programmes
- A minimum of 4 years of people management experience including setting clear performance objectives, managing for results, giving and receiving feedback, performance evaluation, mentoring and coaching
- Solid understanding of DFID’s approach to Value for Money (VfM)
- In country working experience in Northern Nigeria or similar environments
Key Competencies and Professional Expertise Required:
- Successful track record in delivery of complex programmes
- Strong track record in project operations or business management and administration
- Strong management and people handling skills
- Ability to operate in complex situations
- Ability to foster successful partnership approaches and relationships among a variety of organisations/institutions
- Excellent leadership, representation and organisational skills
- High level strategic thinker
- Excellent English language communication skills and ability to work collaboratively across technical disciplines
- Ability to communicate effectively and negotiate persuasively with high level decision makers
- Results oriented
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 21st August, 2017.