Malaria Consortium Job for a Country Office M&E Specialist
Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Office M&E Specialist
Length of Contract: 24 Months
Travel Involved: Yes
Reporting to: Country Technical Coordinator
Direct reports: None
Country and Project Background
- Malaria Consortium has been working in Nigeria since 2008. Working in partnership with the Ministry of Health and other partners (both international and national), we lead and support major malaria control initiatives in the country, providing technical support for malaria control; capacity building and training of health workers; health systems strengthening; behaviour change communications and community outreach and operational research, policy and advocacy.
- We use malaria as the entry point to supporting our stakeholders in reducing the burden of other infectious diseases like neglected tropical illnesses and other issues impacting on child and maternal health.We are currently working at all levels in the country, national, state, local and community with operational offices at the national and state levels.
- This position will support country office operations in line with Malaria Consortium global policy and in compliance with country legislation.
- The post holder shall work with the Country Technical Coordinator (CTC) and the Country Epidemiologist (CE) to provide technical oversight in planning, coordination and supervision of monitoring and evaluation activities and provide expert technical inputs in data management, analysis, interpretation of findings and writing of progress and scientific reports.
- The post holder will provide this support to the Givewell project and other projects in the Nigeria Office portfolio.
Scope of Work
- The position holder will provide support for M&E component for all projects and programmes within MC Nigeria portfolio.
- S/he will ensure that programmes M&E are effectively technically coordinated to achieve coherent direction and a complementary portfolio.
- The position holder will play an active role in strategic and technical development and expansion of the Nigeria programme portfolio together with the Country Technical Coordinator and will provide technical inputs to partners and stakeholders.
Key Working Relationships
- The M&E Manager will work closely with the Country office and state technical teams.
- He/She will be line managed by the CTC.
- H/She will support the state M&E office and may serve as dotted line managers to M&E officer based in the field offices.
- The job holder will work remotely with the M&E manager in AfRO and support the WA regional teams.
Key Accountabilities 100%
- As part of the Senior Country Team, work in collaboration with country epidemiologist and CTC to provide technical support to the portfolio of malaria consortium projects in the area of design, implementation and interpretation of results frameworks.
- Lead the design of the monitoring and evaluation framework for the Givewell SMC Project
- Support the Givewell SMC Project Manager in the planning of field activities and development of standard operating procedures for project M&E
- Contribute to the design of data collection tools and database systems for the entry, storage and retrieval of epidemiological data
- Coordinate monitoring of data quality and supervision activities specifically for Givewell SMC
- Work with M&E officers across projects in the development / strengthening of routine and supplementary disease surveillance systems.
- Liaises with the National Malaria Elimination Programme and other health service departments responsible for Monitoring and Evaluation and Health Management Information System at all levels.
- Lead the effort of the country office in the development of plans of action for project evaluations and coordinate the evaluation of country projects
- Work with CTC and CE in provide capacity building for relevant technical staff across the portfolio of projects in the area of monitoring and evaluation
- Provide technical assistance in the analysis and interpretation of results from surveys conducted and surveillance systems
- Contribute in the design of technical proposals
- Lead the periodic project progress tracking and reporting across the Nigeria portfolio.
- Champion the tracking and reporting of country office progress against strategic objectives and targets on PReS related on a quarterly basis
- Keep up-to-date documentation and centralization of data on the intranet
- Act as a M&E CoP core member and ensure participation and engagement with the monthly M&E CoP calls
- Contribute to Malaria Consortium Knowledge Management Content and Strategy at National, Regional and Global levels
- Contribute to on-going operational research work across the portfolio of projects
Qualifications and Experience
- A post-graduate degree in Statistics, Epidemiology or similar.
- Seven to ten years’ post-qualification experience
- At least five years’ experience in project/ programme monitoring and evaluation
- Research experience in malaria epidemiology and control.
- Field experience in communicable disease control in a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Experience in design, implementation and analysis of household surveys.
- Advanced knowledge of statistical and data management software, especially Stata, SPSS and EpiData.
- Knowledge of mathematical modelling of infectious diseases.
- Familiar with the Nigeria Health system
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of DHIS2
- Advanced skills in the use of Microsoft Office software.
- Advanced statistical analytical skills
- Skills in database programming for field surveys, especially using PDAs.
- Demonstrable skills in manuscript writing for peer-reviewed journals
- Skills in GIS mapping
LEVEL C – Supports others to achieve results:
- Displays a positive and enthusiastic approach and is not deterred by setbacks, finding alternative ways to reach goals or targets.
- Supports others to plan and deliver results
- Supports others to manage and cope with setbacks
Analysis and Use of Information
LEVEL C – Works confidently with complex data to support work:
- Interprets complex written information
- Works confidently with data before making decisions: for example, interpreting trends,
- issues and risks
- Acquainted with the validity, relevance and limitations of different sources of evidence
Interpersonal and Communications:
LEVEL C – Adapts communications effectively:
- Tailors communication (content, style and medium) to diverse audiences
- Communicates equally effectively at all organisational levels
- Understands others’ underlying needs, concerns and motivations and communicates
- effectively in sensitive situations
- Resolves intra-team and inter-team conflicts effectively
Collaboration and Partnering:
LEVEL B – Collaborates effectively across teams:
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from expert colleagues
- Raises difficult issues with teams/ partners and stakeholders with a view to positive
- Proactive in building a rapport with a diverse range of people
Leading and Motivating People:
LEVEL B -Manages own development and seeks opportunities:
- Actively manages own development and performance positively.
- Learns lessons from successes and failures.
- Seeks and explores opportunities within Malaria Consortium which develop skills and expertise.
LEVEL C – Supports others to cope with pressure:
- Responds positively to change, embracing and using new practices or values to
- accomplish goals and solve problems and supports others to do the same.
- Adapts team approach, goals, and methods to achieve solutions and results in dynamic situations.
- Sets realistic deadlines and goals for self or team
Living the Values:
LEVEL C – Supports others to live Malaria Consortium’s values:
- Demonstrates personal integrity by using role position responsibly and fairly.
- Cultivates an open culture within the wider team, promoting accountability, responsibility and respect for individual differences.
Strategic Planning and Thinking and Sector Awareness:
LEVEL C – Keeps up to date with the internal and external environment:
- Champions and takes ownership of corporate decisions, values and standards and ensures team members implement them in a positive manner.
- Acts as role model internally and externally in promoting Malaria Consortium’s values.
- Is accountable for ensuring that cultural awareness is demonstrated across the area (s) they manage.
NGM 4,725, 000 gross per annum
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply