Plan International Jobs for Shelter Specialists
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Shelter Specialist – Deployment Roster
Req ID: 22743
Reports to: Emergency Response Manager
- The Emergency Roster is a database of pre-selected deployable internal and external candidates who have the appropriate skills and experience to support emergency preparedness and response. It also stores information on these candidates.
- The purpose of the roster is to ensure that we have the right people in the right place and the right time with the right skills.
- Roster Members are expected to deploy to an emergency response within 72 hours or once an entry visa is received.
- A Roster Member is selected from the Emergency Roster as and when a roster request is received from one of our country offices.
- The Shelter Specialist will deploy, often at short notice, to support a CO respond to a particular emergency.
- The specialist will be responsible for designing the shelter strategy and overseeing all shelter programmes.
- In addition they will be responsible for external representation, in particular with the shelter cluster and any associated working groups.
- Ensure all emergency shelter programmes have a clear focus on addressing the specific needs of young girls, adolescent girls and young women.
- Oversight of assessments as required, in line with Plan International’s standard tools.
- Develop shelter programme strategy and oversee its implementation ensuring alignment with SPHERE and CHS.
- Represent Plan International with key external stakeholders (Government, Donors, UN agencies and peers).
- Represent Plan International in the shelter cluster, ensuring 3Ws info submitted as required.
- Support the development of shelter funding submissions, and donor reporting.
Knowledge & Experience
- Qualifications in either Civil/Structural Engineering or Architecture.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the Humanitarian Programme Cycle
- Experience in conducting needs assessments
- Experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of emergency shelter programmes
- Experience of representation with a wide range of external stakeholders
- Experience of managing programmes in insecure locations.
- Good knowledge of SPHERE and the CHS.
- Strong team management, staff capacity building and motivation skills in teamwork and networking.
- Excellent skills in donor proposal / report writing
- May be required, to work during late hours, weekends and holidays in order to ensure timely delivery of programmes.
- Language skills desirable ( for example English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 23rd August, 2018.