Graduate Radio Operator for Solidarites International Borno State
Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Radio Operator
Probationary Period: 1 month
Contract Duration: 3 months, subject to renewal upon available donor funding.
- The Radio Operator will take part in the safety of Solidarités International teams by monitoring all movements.
- He/she ensures a permanent level of communication between Solidarités International teams and the bases.
Management of radio material:
- Oversee daily management of telecommunication equipment by distributing the equipment to teams as they leave for the field and ensuring that it is given back on their return.
- Record all activity involving telecommunication materials, cameras, Tracking device, GPS and other equipment in his/her care.
- Ensure that VHF handsets batteries, satellite telephones, cameras, Tracking devise and GPS are fully and correctly charged.
- Diagnose and report to his/her line manager any breakdown, damage or loss of equipment.
- Install telecommunication facilities on the bases when it’s required.
- Ensure that teams are fully trained in the use of the equipment and communication procedures.
- Ensure that no unauthorized persons gain access to the frequencies assigned to Solidarités International.
- Ensure that Solidarités International users follow communication procedures, particularly concerning sensitive information.
- Update codes, frequencies and selective call numbers.
Communication / Movement Monitoring:
- Receive and monitor radio messages sent to bases and record them in the log book.
- If required, assume an intermediary role and relay messages between bases and teams.
- Follow the location of teams in the field and during town expeditions.
- Play a central role in the monitoring of team field location and report any information regarding their safety to his/her line manager
- Higher National Diploma (in any Technical Field – Communication, IT, Engineering).
- English – spoken and written
- Hausa – spoken
- Handling of VHF, HF radios, Tracking devices and SAT phone
- Certificate in Ms Windows, Ms Office
- Previous experience as a Radio Operator (01 Year)
Application Closing Date
20th September, 2017.