Technical Advisor – Molecular Diagnostics at APIN
APIN Public Health Initiatives is a non-governmental donor-funded organization dedicated to the prevention, treatment, care and support of diseases of public health importance in Nigeria, including HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, among others.
APIN Public Health Initiatives has been awarded a 5 year Grant by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to implement “Improving Comprehensive AIDS Response Enhanced for Sustainability” (iCARES) project, – a hybrid of facility and community based interventions, that will expand access to comprehensive HIV prevention, care and treatment services in 8 states of Benue, Ekiti, Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo and Plateau in Nigeria. The program, funded by US PEPFAR through CDC, aims to contribute to the UNAIDS 90-90-90 goal of HIV epidemic control in Nigeria.
We are seeking qualified and suitable candidates to assume the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor – Molecular Diagnostics
Directorate: Laboratory Services
- To provide technical support to supported PCR laboratories to establish, implement and improve quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) activities including viral load testing, DNA PCR and HIV drug resistance monitoring.
- Participate in supportive supervision and provide mentorship to supported laboratories to achieve an improved QA program.
- Support and strengthen all capacity building efforts of molecular diagnostic section of all APIN supported laboratories.
- Programming, calibration and performance verification of PCR equipment.
- PCR equipment use, application, care, troubleshooting, and preventive maintenance.
- HIV-1 DNA and RNA HBV, HCV sample collection, documentation, storage, preparation and processing and assay runs.
- Validation of assay runs, analysis and interpretation of results, and data management.
- Storage and shipment of blood extract, and fractions in liquid Nitrogen.
- Validate and evaluate new nucleic acid based test technologies for performance.
- Maintain personal expertise in PCR laboratory practices and emerging automated methodologies and technologies.
- Participate in supportive supervision and provide mentorship to health center laboratories.
- Contribute to the strengthening of PCR laboratory network within the APIN program and with other institutions and stakeholders.
- Participate in the training of laboratory personnel and other health workers in molecular laboratory procedures and diagnostics.
- Provide technical assistance in strengthening PCR laboratory data management to improve data utilization.
- Provide support in the supplies chain management of PCR commodities including rolling out tools for quantification and tracking of supplies at supported laboratories.
- Coordinate EQA and IQC programs for HIV-1 DNA and RNA, HBV, HCV testing.
- Facilitate regular communications on PCR equipment repairs and maintenance with the relevant vendors and in-house services
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of Master’s Degree in Virology with professional certification of either AIMLT/FIMLT is required.
- A minimum of 10 years’ relevant post qualification experience.
- A PhD degree and previous experience working with an International Development Organization would be an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
25th October, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org stating how their skills, knowledge and experience make them suitable, and addressing the person specifications highlighted above.
- The suitability statement should not exceed a page and must appear on the first page of the CV, which must be saved in Microsoft Word and as applicant’s full name.
- The subject of the mail should be the job position and location being applied for, e.g. Job Title – Location.
- Late applications will not be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.