Learning & Development Adviser Job Vacancy at Plan International
Plan International Nigeria is part is the global federation of Plan International and was registered as a National Organization in 2014 in Nigeria. Plan International works in 52 developing Countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas. Plan’s Global Strategic Goals (2017-2022) is to advance Children’s Rights and Equality for Girls ad our Ambition is, “together, we take action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive”. We reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalised through the delivery of high-quality programmes that deliver long-lasting benefits to children and their communities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Learning & Development Adviser
Req ID: 25841
Reports to: Learning and Development Manager, International Headquarters
Type of Role: Fixed term contract
- This is an exciting opportunity to operate with global reach, supporting key business areas in line with Plan International’s ambitious new strategy. You will analyse learning needs, design learning solutions and deliver and evaluate learning impact.
- This role will have a particular focus on learning for Disaster Risk Management and Project Management skills across the organisation.
- You will contribute to building individual, organisational and partner capability and knowledge to meet Plan International’s current and strategic requirements and create a learning culture to embed capability development, working closely with staff in the Disaster Risk Management and Programme Quality teams, as well as L&D Managers, Global and Regional L&D Advisers, HR Business Partners and Global Networks Technical Advisers/Subject Matter Experts.
- You will bring significant knowledge of learning and development within the humanitarian sector including learning needs analysis, delivery and assessment.
- Excellent stakeholder management and relationship building skills will be imperative, alongside a flexible working style and the ability to influence, engage and challenge appropriately to gain the necessary commitment and support from diverse stakeholders.
Dimensons of the Role
- This role has global reach, supporting key business areas in line with the global strategy by providing learning needs analysis, designing learning solutions, delivery and evaluating learning impact.
- The post has particular focus on learning for Disaster Risk Management (DRM) and Project Management skills across Plan International.
- The post holder will not have any direct reports and will be working closely with staff in the DRM and Programme Quality teams, as well as L&D Managers, Global and Regional L&D Advisers, HR Business Partners and Global Networks Technical Advisers/Subject Matter Experts.
- Budget responsibility for raising funds for learning & development through grants/National Organisations (NOs) contribution.
- Promote L&D approach (outcome-focussed learning) across key business areas and recommend suitable learning options to meet individual and team requirements.
- Coach staff and managers to consider and select appropriate delivery channels to maximise learning impact.
- Partner relevant subject matter experts and third parties, and take the design lead in the development of interventions.
- Ensure accessibility of solutions in terms of content being relevant, up to date and available in English (and French/Spanish as required).
- Draw insights about external learning and training marketplace from relationship with external providers, INGO’s, relevant partners and experts and keep them informed of Plan International’s learning and training initiatives for potential knowledge and information sharing.
- Collaborate with wider L&D team to draw on lessons learned, document, share knowledge and disseminate best practice across the organisation.
- Manage the end to end process of learning.
- Support the wider team in projects and initiatives.
- Write and submit funding proposals which will result in greater internal collaboration (with NOs) and increased external funding and support for Plan International learning & development interventions.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- HROD Learning & Development team
- DRM team
- Programme Quality team
- Subject matter experts and key stakeholders (including NOs)
- Regional HR Business Partner
- Country HR Managers
- Global Technical Networks
- Humentum (formally LINGOs)
- Learning & development experts and networks
Essential Knowledge of:
- Humanitarian sector/Disaster Risk Management
- Analysing and prioritising learning and development needs
- Adult learning theories and supporting technologies with an understanding of instructional design
- The differences between and potential benefits of a variety of learning delivery channels (70/20/10 principles for example)
- Managing rollout and logistics of large scale learning events – face to face and on-line
- Facilitation models and styles to manage and optimize a learning event
- Application of diversity and inclusion principles and research within managing and implementing learning and development programmes and offerings
- Co-reviewing and feedback on programme design in collaboration with Learning & Development Manager
- How to identify, evaluate and demonstrate tangible business and performance benefits from learning interventions
- Monitoring, evaluation and ROI analysis – analysing, using an making decisions and recommendations based on evidence, regular reflective learning and sharing of knowledge
- Working with learning management systems
- Project Management skills (knowledge of PMD Pro desirable)
- Facilitation skills
- Consultative skills
- Well organised with the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Developed relationship management skills, including the ability to manage and influence diverse and stakeholder group
- Excellent stakeholder management skills and the ability to build solid relationships with colleagues at all levels and provide support at a distance
- Networking skills
- Coaching skills
- Working level of competency in MS Office, Blackboard Collaborate, LMS and CMS (ideally Moodle)
- Time management
- A strong communicator in English
- Is future-focused, inquisitive and open-minded; seeks out evolving and innovative ways to add value to the organisation
- Flexible in working style with ability to adapt when needed – resilience and pace when working within a changing environment
- Demonstrates the ability to influence, engage and challenge appropriately to gain the necessary commitment and support from diverse stakeholders in pursuit of organisation value.
- Works effectively and inclusively with a range of people, both within and outside of the organisation.
- Demonstrates determination, resourcefulness and purpose to deliver the best results for the organisation.
- Shows courage and confidence to speak up skilfully, challenging others even when confronted with resistance or unfamiliar circumstances.
- Works with everyone in HROD Learning & Development team to achieve team shared goals, tackle challenges and celebrate successes
- Listens to and values the perspectives of others and challenge their own to get the best outcome for team and organization
- Seeks feedback from others in order to learn and improve
- CIPD Learning and Development (or equivalent)
- Project Management certificate/qualification (PMD Pro specifically)
- Child rights-based programming and approaches
- Gender transformative approaches
- Understanding of the range of techniques for influencing power holders at local, national and global levels; from discreet advocacy to public campaigns and strategic communications
- Experience in co-writing project proposals and obtaining grant funding for learning & development interventions and initiatives
- Fluent in French and/or Spanish
- Typical office environment
- Regular travel to countries, face to face meetings and workshops as required
- Low contact: No contact or very low frequency of interaction
Competitive according to local contract terms.
Application Closing Date
25th January, 2018.