Commodity Manager Position at Malaria Consortium
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Commodity Manager
Job Type: Fixed Term
Length of contract: Indefinite
Travel involved: 60%
Country and Project Background
Malaria Consortium has been working in Nigeria since 2008. Working in partnership with the Ministry of Health and other partners (both international and national), we lead and support major malaria control initiatives in the country, providing technical support for malaria control; capacity building and training of health workers; health systems strengthening; behaviour change communications and community outreach and operational research, policy and advocacy. We use malaria as the entry point to supporting our stakeholders in reducing the burden of other infectious diseases like neglected tropical illnesses and other issues impacting on child and maternal health.
We are currently working at all levels in the country, national, state, local and community with operational offices at the national and state levels. This position will support country office operations in line with Malaria Consortium global policy and in compliance with country legislation.
- The Commodity Manager will manage all commodities for which Malaria Consortium is responsible for in Nigeria, and will also maintain oversite of all commodities for which Malaria Consortium Nigeria is accountable for.
Scope of Work
- The Commodity Manager will ensure effective pipeline and inventory management to enable on-time delivery at value for money of all commodities for which Malaria Consortium- Nigeria is responsible, and avoid stock outs, with all documentation correctly completed and filed.
- S/he will lead in the procurement of project medicines and commodities to be procured directly by the Nigeria office, or via Malaria consortiums Global Procurement agent.
- Liaise with all procurement agents appointed by our donors for commodities to be used by Malaria Consortium-Nigeria managed projects.
Key Working Relationships
- The Commodity Manager will report to the Country Technical Coordinator.
- Indirectly s/he will work with M&E Specialists, project commodity and operations staff, national and state based staff and partners and MOH staff to ensure good inventory management.
- The Commodity Manager will support the Country Technical Coordinator and other senior staff in delivering country strategic objectives.
- S/he will represent Malaria Consortium in the partnership / coordination committees and meetings of NMEP and FMOH.
- S/he will also be the contact person with NAFDAC and other regularity authorities on food and medicines.
Stock Management (40%):
- Collate information and produce timely stock reconciliation reports on a monthly and basis for all stock within projects where Malaria Consortium-Nigeria is accountable
- Forecast needs and produce timely requisitions to ensure stock outs are avoided in all warehouses where Malaria Consortium- Nigeria is responsible for storage
- Monitor, with supervisory visits and documented spot checks, inventory storage and movement records in all warehouses where Malaria Consortium- Nigeria is accountable (including pharmaceutical good storage and good distribution practices)
- Investigate any losses and ensure that relevant people are held to account for such losses through processes
- Supervise any warehouse staff recruited by Malaria Consortium-Nigeria to support a project
- Ensure setup of Malaria Consortium-Nigeria stock management procedures and processes for commodities for which Malaria Consortium is responsible.
- Review, design and implement stock management processes and procedures in government or third party commodity warehouses we Malaria Consortium- Nigeria are accountable.
- Provide input into the review of national stock management and LMIS processes and guidelines
Capacity Building (15%):
- Design training material on good storage and good distribution practices, tailored for both Malaria Consortium- Nigeria staff and partners
- Working in a collaborative way with relevant stakeholders to revising inventory management processes when required, ensuring input and agreement from all stakeholders before finalisation
- Provide capacity building support to Malaria Consortium- Nigeria staff, local partners and MOH staff on warehouse and inventory management processes, documentation and data management
- Provide input into the National Procurement and Supply Management Strategy if required under a Malaria Consortium- Nigeria project
Commodity Sourcing and Distribution (30%):
- Develop procurement plans for Malaria Consortium- Nigeria projects, including commodity quantification and distribution plans using correct assumptions and best practices.
- Plan, source (via MC procurement process or MOH/partner assets) and manage the freight for all stock movements where Malaria Consortium- Nigeria is responsible
- Plan, source (via MC procurement process or MOH/partner stock) and manage all project commodities (drugs, medical supplies, etc.) for which Malaria Consortium- Nigeria is responsible
- Place and manage to the point of distribution any international commodity purchases with the Malaria Consortium – Nigeria Global Procurement Agent
- Manage all import processes and documentation for commodities when needed.
- Maintain, update and share on a weekly basis a procurement tracker for all procurements
- Support project distribution planning and execution to ensure all stock and freight are received on time at distribution points, and all stock is recorded during the distribution, and reconciled after the distribution
- Participant in NMEP and FMOH quantification and procurement planning working group including development of the distribution plans for both routine and campaign commodities and materials from national to the community levels where Malaria Consortium- Nigeria is accountable.
- Regularly collect, collate and analyse value for money parameters and recommend areas of efficiency gains for Malaria Consortium- Nigeria and stakeholder supply chain
- Supply chain input into new proposal technical design and budgets, to include commodity quantification and pricing, freight and storage design and costing, procurement and warehouse personnel design and costing
- Represent and promote Malaria Consortium Nigeria as a quality partner and specialised technical agency where appropriate.
- Support managers with transitioning between operational structures and strategies (i.e. opening, expansion, down-sizing and closing offices and projects).
- Work with HQ, country office and project managers to resolve relevant outstanding audit findings and support offices to improve overall compliance with organisational policies.
- Maintain regular contact with field offices to ensure issues and concerns are identified and resolved pre-emptively, making regular field visits to support this
- Ensure all relevant Malaria Consortium policies and processes are complied with, including in relation to procurement, inventory and warehouse management, anti-fraud, anti-bribery and anti-corruption and conflicts of interest.
Person Specification, Qualifications and Experience
- Educated at a Bachelors level in relevant discipline or equivalent professional experience.
- Supply Chain and/or Procurement Qualification (e.g. Supply Chain Masters or CIPS)
- Demonstrated success as a commodity manager within regional or national environment.
- Experienced in importing health commodities (including medical and nutrition supplies and pharmaceuticals) in Nigeria
- Strong knowledge of WHO Good Storage and Good Distribution Practices
- Experience with managing pharmaceutical supply chains
- Experience working in an international NGO
- Familiarity with Global Fund procurement processes
- Knowledge of global health sector.
- Diploma or Bachelors in Pharmacy
- Working knowledge in contract negotiation and management.
- Hands-on leader who is a strong motivator.
- Strong proficiency with using MS Excel and data analytics
- Up to date knowledge of best practice using advanced inventory management tools.
- Experience in designing, writing and implementing training material.
Delivering results (LEVEL C – Supports others to achieve results):
- Puts Displays a positive and enthusiastic approach and is not deterred by setbacks, finding alternative ways to reach goals or targets.
- Supports others to plan and deliver results.
- Supports others to manage and cope with setbacks. Analysis and use of information
- LEVEL C – Works confidently with complex data to support work
- Interprets complex written information
- Works confidently with data before making decisions: for example, interpreting trends, issues and risks
- Acquainted with the validity, relevance and limitations of different sources of evidence
Interpersonal and communications (LEVEL C – Adapts communications effectively):
- Tailors communication (content, style and medium) to diverse audiences
- Communicates equally effectively at all organisational levels
- Understands others’ underlying needs, concerns and motivations and communicates effectively in sensitive situations
- Resolves intra-team and inter-team conflicts effectively
Collaboration and partnering (LEVEL C – Builds strong networks internally and participates actively in external networks and think tanks):
- Builds strong networks internally
- Participates actively in external networks and/or think tanks
- Engages with relevant experts to gather and evaluate evidence
- Shares and implements good practice with internal and external peers
Leading and motivating people (LEVEL C- Effectively leads and motivates others or direct reports.):
- Gives regular, timely and appropriate feedback,
- Acknowledges good performance and deals with issues concerning poor performance
- Carries out staff assessment and development activities conscientiously and effectively
- Develops the skills and competences of others through the development and application of skills
- Coaches and supports team members when they have difficulties
Flexibility/ adaptability (LEVEL C – Supports others to cope with pressure):
- Responds positively to change, embracing and using new practices or values to accomplish goals and solve problems and supports others to do the same
- Adapts team approach, goals, and methods to achieve solutions and results in dynamic situations
- Sets realistic deadlines and goals for self or team
Living the values (LEVEL C – Acts as a role model in promoting Malaria Consortium’s values):
- Champions and takes ownership of corporate decisions, values and standards and ensures team members implement them in a positive manner
- Acts as role model internally and externally in promoting Malaria Consortium’s values
- Is accountable for ensuring that cultural awareness is demonstrated across the area (s) they manage
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness (LEVEL B – Is aware of others’ activities and vice versa in planning activities):
- Takes account of team members and others workload when planning.
- Maintains awareness of impact on other parts of the organisation, keeping abreast of other’s activities, objectives, commitments and needs
- Has a good understanding of the sector in which Malaria Consortium works.
NGM 4,725, 000 gross per annum
Application Closing Date
22nd January, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online