Information Management Specialist at the United Nations Children’s Fund
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Information Management Specialist, P-3
Job Number: 510354
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
How can you make a difference?
- The Information Management Specialist is accountable for the accomplishment of the stated key end-results by providing professional expertise and assistance in advocating for an environment whereby relevant data (spatial/GIS, non-spatial tabular, statistical, etc.) can be brought to a structure that supports the efficient management of data and information in the context of UNICEF programme.
- The incumbent will be assisting the UNICEF Management for Results (M4R) section in their planning, monitoring and implementation of the overall country programme.
IM products are produced on monthly/weekly/ad hoc basis to support all UNICEF programmes:
- Support data collection, analysis, dissemination processes relevant to programme needs, including map production.
- Proactively gather information from key stakeholders of which may be helpful for informing decisions, including movement of population, IS locations, social development centres, community centres, and other relevant information.
- Provide the necessary tools and approach to run assessments.
- Manage collected data through surveys and assessments.
- Identify secondary data and information resources that would complement information needs of UNICEF country office, as appropriate.
- Organize and maintain contact directories of partners using standard formats agreed with relevant stakeholders.
- Liaise with other agencies and IM Focal Points (as required) for data/information and knowledge that can inform UNICEF programme decisions.
- Manage the in-house 4W database and derivative products.
- Support and train IMOs at UNICEF zonal offices for ensuring systemized use and approach of M4R tools.
- Build GIS and mapping capacities of the IMOs in the zonal offices.
- Develop standard mapping templates of different scales for UNICEF.
- Develop GIS sector related directories used for archiving UNICEF products.
- Develop simple and effective tools for information sharing, using innovative technology solutions.
All inter-agency/joint and UNICEF platforms, tools and products are developed and maintained with collaboration of inter-agency stakeholders, to support planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programme across Nigeria:
- As part of the ActivityInfo system requirements, continuously follow up with partners for data gathering and information reporting.
- Liaise with UNICEF programme sections and the sector leads for data verification and information dissemination.
- Develop standardized reporting format of ActivityInfo generated data.
- Develop related sector level geodatabase and maps, requiring strong skills in different GIS tools and techniques.
- Assist in developing standard mapping templates of different scales for UNICEF programme and the interagency response.
- Assist in develop GIS sector related directories used for archiving UNICEF and the humanitarian response products.
- Develop and update the interagency vulnerability map.
- Co-lead the Information Management Working Group and actively take part in guiding the humanitarian community in developing adequate tools for managing the humanitarian crisis.
- Collaborate in providing training to sector partners on tools and platforms used in UNICEF specifically or at interagency level.
The monitoring capacities of Country Office and zonal staff and national partners are strengthened, enabling them to increasingly engage in and lead monitoring and evaluation processes:
- In Coordination with UNICEF sections leads contribute to developing SitAns, Annual Reviews, Mid-Term Reviews, and Annual Reports or other progress reports
- Carry out standardized field data collection and generate related analysis, to feed into to programme performance monitoring as part of the HACT.
- Assess and adapt appropriate existing M&E/IM tools for the different programmes.
- Support UNICEF programmes in all aspects of monitoring.
- In response to the humanitarian crisis, provide technical guidance and developed adequate assessment tools for a fast intervention to be carried-out within the first 2 or 3 days as per MIRA guidance, and in line with the core commitment on children (CCCs).
- Advanced University degree in Social Sciences, Survey Implementation, Advanced Statistical Research or any other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years of responsible professional work experience in information management, statistics, database development and GIS experience required.
- Additional geomatic skills are an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Excel or MS Access (e.g. pivot tables and functions); proven technical expertise for managing data capture and storage, for analysing diverse datasets, and presenting information in understandable tables, charts, maps, graphs and reports; knowledge of managing basic websites; proven skills in using GIS and map-making packages.
- Fluency in English and another UN language.
Application Closing Date
6th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty.
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.