Finance Officer needed at the Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Ref. no: 3759579005
Reports to: Finance Manager
Start Date: 15/04/2018
End Date: 31/12/2018
- NRC is looking for a Finance Officer for our country office in Abuja in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the Finance Technical Officer is to support programme activities in Abuja, Maiduguri and in the field offices
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country.
- NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security, Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and recently Education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- Daily supervision of finance Assistant.
- Supervise bank and cash boxes reconciliations on daily and monthly basis in Abuja
- Establish a good tracking system for advances and ensure that clearance of advances is done on time.
- Ensure that weekly, monthly finance reports are prepared on time.
- Daily verification of POs, PRs Bid Analysis, per diem claim and other documents within the Technical Finance Officer threshold
- Verify that all transactions have complete supporting documents and ensure that all costs are timely booked into Agresso on a daily, weekly and monthly basis
- Support to ensure monthly closure is completed according to the timeline provided in the finance handbook
- Responsible for preparing budget and monitoring of Abuja offices budget.
- Support to verify the monthly National Staff Payroll and posting
- Follow up to ensure prompt processing of daily vendor payments and Ensure that all supporting documents are complete and accurate before payment is done.
- Ensure that all supporting documents are complete and accurate before payment.
- On a monthly basis Ensure all deductions are timely remitted to statutory authority according to the provision of the law.
- Collaborate with the financial institutions to ensure that queries related to payments are timely resolved (return payments, under/over payments of staff, suppliers and contractors incorrect account details etc)
- Responsible for the archive of financial documents in Abuja and make sure that all the documents are scanned and prepared according to NRC filling guidance.
- Support the Finance Coordinator facilitate monthly BVA meetings, Project summary, spending plans and preparing of financial report and budgeting.
- Facilitate daily cash counts and safeguard of cash in the office.
- Facilitate audit activities
- Perform other related tasks that will be assigned by line manager.
- Experience from working as a Finance Technical Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good in oral and written English
- Good knowledge of the North – Eastern Nigeria context
- Minimum of University degree in related field.
- Finance / Economics.
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: April 2018
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, on grade level 5, step 1
- Duty station: Abuja, with frequent travels. Travel outside Abuja is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
Application Closing Date
11th April, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: You are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.