WaSH Officer (Hygiene Promotion) Job at the Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WaSH Officer (Hygiene Promotion)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: the the WaSH Coordinator.
- NRC is looking for a WaSH Officer (Hygiene Promotion) for our field office in Maiduguri, Borno State in Northern Nigeria.
- The purpose of the WaSH Officer (Hygiene Promotion) is to ensure the Implementation and impact of WaSH programme activities in Maiduguri, Borno State
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country.
- NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and recently Education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- Coordinate the Hygiene promotion (HP) and community mobilization (CM) activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- Assists the WASH Project Coordinator in all aspects of HP and CM programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Assists in the identification of communities/IDPs Hygiene promotion needs including beneficiary identification and selection process.
- Monitoring Hygiene Kits distribution within the communities including liaising with monitoring and evaluation teams for post distribution monitoring.
- Develop tools and materials for Hygiene Promotion and Community Mobilization
- Assess the HP and CM needs of the communities/IDPs and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conducts a training session on HP and CM for the local Hygiene Promoters
- Working closely with the technical officer and Project Coordinator to assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly hygiene promotion reports, NFI distributions, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
- Active participation on hygiene promotion and nutrition sector working group and can be delegated to attend the WASH sector meetings
- Performs any other duties as requested by the WASH Project Coordinator
- Knowledge of the context of Northeast Nigeria
- Experience with start-up activities
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
- Higher diploma in Public Health, Social Science or Communication
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with wash projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous 2 years work experience in community based Water and Sanitation programs; Work experience with an INGO is desirable
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of Water and Sanitation delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, Arc Gis and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Social science
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: May 2018
- Duration: 4 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions: Grade Level 5 Step 1
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
Application Closing Date
11th April, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online