Employment for Laboratory Scientist at eHealth Africa
eHealth Africa designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings and uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Laboratory Scientist
Purpose of the position
- The Laboratory Scientist will be expected to provide first-class services by applying skills and scientific knowledge to support accurate medical diagnoses and the wellbeing of our patients.
- In this role, you will perform a variety of laboratory tests and procedures to assist in diagnosing, monitoring, treating and preventing disease.
What you’ll do
The Laboratory Scientist will support eHA’s clinic predominantly by:
- You’ll collect and analyze body fluids, tissue and other substances to determine normal or abnormal findings.
- You’ll operate sophisticated equipment and instruments to identify the results. Both technicians and technologists perform tests and procedures that physicians or other healthcare personnel order.
- Maintains quality results by running standards and controls, verifying equipment function through routine equipment maintenance and advanced troubleshooting; calibrating equipment utilizing approved testing procedures; monitoring quality control measures and protocols.
- Identifies and communicates abnormal results by alerting supervisory personnel, the pathologist, the patient physician, or nurse.
- (Toxicology) identifies the presence or quantity of drugs of abuse, therapeutic drugs, and toxic substances by operating toxicology instrumentation and performing manual methods for the performance of drug screens, blood alcohol levels, and carbon monoxide levels.
- (Chemistry) provides test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating chemistry equipment; performing hand chemistries.
- (Hematology) provides test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating hematology, urinalysis, and coagulation equipment; performing manual methods of differentials.
- (Immunology) provides test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating equipment such as the gamma counter, spectrophotometer, densitometer, and through methods such as radioimmunoassay, enzyme immunoassay, and serological testing.
- (Microbiology) provides physician with information for treatment of patient infection by performing technical procedures for the identification or susceptibility of bacteria, parasites, fungi, and mycobacteria.
- (Blood bank) ensures the patient of receiving compatible blood/blood components by completing blood typing, antibody screening, compatibility testing, and antibody identification procedures.
- (Blood bank) assures future retrieval of patient transfusion information by preparing patient packets and maintaining blood bank database.
- Organizes work by matching computer orders with specimen labeling; sorting specimens; checking labeling; logging specimens; arranging reports for delivery; keeping work surfaces clean and orderly.
- Using a Lab Information Management System for specimen tracking, results entray and reporting.
- Contributes to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers by following established standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Maintains patient’s confidence by keeping laboratory information confidential.
- Serves and protects the Diagnostic firm by adhering to professional standards, laboratories policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and other pre-specified standards.
- Enhances laboratory services and laboratory reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time
Who you are
- A minimum Bachelor of Science degree in Laboratory Science from an accredited university.
- Minimum 3 years working experience in a Medical Laboratory, Clinic or hospital.
- Relevant Certifications will be an added advantage.
- Candidate must possess a Certificate of the Associate of the Institute of Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (AMLSCN)
- Candidate must possess current practicing license.
- Good interpersonal skills and communication with a wide variety of patients, medical staff, and caregivers
- Strong computer skills, including Google Office Suite and other medical softwares.
- Compassionate and sensitive to patients’ needs and concerns
- Good Documentation and analyzing skills
- Good knowledge of Health Regulations, Creating and maintain a Safe & Effective Environment,
- Attention to details (Thoroughness)
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can become louder at times due to group discussions or activities. eHA is a tobacco-free environment.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to sit and use a computer and reach with their hands and arms.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online