Graduate Program Assistant – (NE CMS) Job at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Assistant – (NE CMS)
Reference Number MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00009
Position Status: Full-time, regular
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Works Directly With: Finance, Program and Operation Teams.
Program / Department Summary
- The Northeast Conflict Management and Stabilization (NE CMS) Program is an expansion from a pilot phase implemented from August 2016 to March 2017.
- The program is implemented in a consortium with Center for Humanitarian Dialogue, Center for Civilians in Conflict and Okapi Consulting with Mercy Corps being the lead.
- The program will result in increased peace within and between communities, and increased confidence in government and security institutions to address the root causes of conflict and violent extremism in Borno State.
- The consortium will strengthen protection of civilians, support social cohesion, address the root causes of violent extremism and contribute to conflict management in Northeast Nigeria by:
- Strengthening government and civil-society efforts to address key grievances;
- Increasing economic and social engagement opportunities for youth;
- Promoting reconciliation and transitional justice at a community level;
- Supporting civilian protection and improving civil-military relations;
- Laying the groundwork for successful reintegration of former members of violent groups, their victims and IDPs; and
- Promoting positive alternative narratives through radio.
General Position Summary
- The program assistant will assist the program teams in the day to day implementation of all program activities in the areas of intervention.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist program officers to ensure program progress according to the developed schedule and work plan.
- Assist in the coordination in target geographical areas.
- Support in the process of beneficiary registration, community mobilization and sensitization.
- Assist in promoting community participation and inclusion so as to encourage community ownership over activities implemented.
- Ensure equal representation of various community groups in the implementation of activities.
- Assist in the facilitation of community meetings, focus group discussion and other as required by the program.
- Keep program officers and management updated with regards to security situation in the project implementation area.
- Provide weekly field reports, capturing activities progress, lessons learned as well as general situation and community updates and needs.
- Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements, Knowledge and Experience
- 1-2 years of working experience. Previous experience in community work is highly preferred.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain good relation with the local communities and project beneficiaries.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing and reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience is highly recommended
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required, ability to speak Kanuri and Shuwa highly desired.
- The successful candidate will be an effective communicator, with dedication towards community work, commitment to work long hours in the field conditions with limited access to resources.
- S/He will be highly motivated, with initiative and capable to work without direct supervision.
- S/he will be willing to conduct field travels and work in ethnically and culturally diversified and fast growing team.
Application Closing Date
13th April, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4-page CV’s and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.