Finance Officer needed at Helen Keller International
Helen Keller International (HKI), established in 1915, works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We combat the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Reports To: Finance Coordinator
- The Finance Officer is responsible for assisting the Finance Coordinator and Finance and Operations Manager with safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of HKI and ultimately the donor against fraud, loss or misuse.
In collaboration with the Finance Coordinator, carryout the following responsibilities:
- Review bank vouchers and prepare expense pre accounting requests
- Prepare and verify salaries cost allocations and other cost allocations
- Check and verify the accuracy of bank reconciliations
- Carry out payroll review against staff files
- Carry out payment/activities request review
- Reviews and approves payment
- Ensures the effectiveness of approvals.
- Properly code all transactions.
- Control and enter all expenses from the petty cash,
- Blank cheque custodycheque preparation
- Uploading approval from the Procurement/other Finance Team
- Cheques raised and signed by approved signatories.
- Bank voucher preparation
- Cash tracking of incoming and outgoing transactions.
- Petty cash custody & reconciliation
- Accrual statements management
- Prepaid statements management
- QB data entry (Payment & Retirement)
- Review of retirements
- Supplier withholding tax statements
- Supplier withholding tax payments
- Office Tax compliance
- Donor Budget preparation & monitoring
- Donor report preparation & reconciliation
- Preparation and submission of Wired Transfer Request
- Preparation and submission of Month end reporting package
- Preparation and submission of Year end reporting package
- Preparation and submission of IFRS Financial statements
- Preparation & submission of Year end HQ audit
- External audit preparation & follow up
- HKI Budget preparation
- HKI shared cost budget monitoring
- Payment of expenses, including per diem and transport to participants during activities in the fie.
- Prepare and control advances.
- Assure balances of unused portions of advances are deposited into the HKI account.
- Reconcile advances, including review of receipts, coding of expenses on the general voucher and entering into QuickBooks.
- Maintain accounting files.
- Follow up on outstanding advances and assure timely reconciliation.
- Control consumption of project (petrol, electricity, water, telephone,)
- Participate in the improvement of the accounting system and the system of internal control.
- Create all financial reports as requested by supervisor.
- Preparation of forms for payments of taxes and social security.
- Ensure that payments are processed accurately, timely, and safely (to minimize HKI’s risk exposure).
- Ensure that treasury practices in country minimize HKI’s cash exposure.
- Ensure that entries are entered into financial system accurately and timely.
- Ensure that month and year-end accounting activities are done accurately and in compliance with HKI policies and procedures.
- Other tasks as requested by supervisor
Application Closing Date
20th April, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications along with a suitability statement to: email@example.com Indicate the title of the position and location as the subject of the email.