Closing Date: Wednesday, 11 April 2012
UN WOMEN: DEPUTY REPRESENTATIVE MOZAMBIQUE
Location : Maputo, MOZAMBIQUE Application Deadline : 11-Apr-12 Type of Contract : FTA International Post Level : P-4 Languages Required :
The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The scope of work of the UN Women Representative requires experience and in-depth understanding of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues, as well as management and programming expertise, to translate UN Women’s strategic plans into effective development initiatives and results. It also requires developing mutually reinforcing partnerships with relevant Government counterparts, UN organizations, CSOs, and with bilateral and non-traditional donors in order to promote inter-agency partnerships, support for UN reform, and mobilization of visibility and resources to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment.
UN Women Mozambique is part of the Delivering as One (DaO) and provides technical and policy advise on gender equality and women´s empowerment issues to the UNCT and other development partners in the country – Government, Civil Society and Donors. In order to enable UN Women to play its coordinating role in regards to Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment and to support implementation of programmes under UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) 2012-2015, UN Women seeks to recruit the Deputy Representative.
The Deputy Representative reports to the UN Women Representative who provides the strategic leadership, guidance and oversight of programs and operations, formulation and execution of UN Women CO strategic programs and plans of actions in line with UN Women and UN development efforts in the country. Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Representative, the Deputy Representative will provide technical and advisory support to the UN system to ensure coherence, coordination and alignment with national gender priorities. She/He will work closely with the UN Women Gender Coordination Advisor at the UN Women Regional Centre and the UN Coordination Division in New York.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
• Advisory Technical Support on UN Coordination, Joint Programming and Reform.
• Programme Planning, Results Based Reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation .
• Knowledge Management and Communications.
• Support to UN Women Representative on Advocacy, Representation, Partnerships and Resource Mobilization.
Advisory Technical Support on UN Coordination, Joint Programming and Reform
• Lead UN Women’s technical and thematic contributions for gender mainstreaming in UN Joint planning, programme design and strategic partnership building in accordance to the UN Coordination systems in the country.
• Manage a portfolio of on-going and future joint programmes on Gender Equality through technical monitoring, administrative and financial supervision, evaluation and reporting.
• Design tools and implement capacity building training activities to enhance skills and knowledge on gender mainstreaming in UN Joint Programming and Coordination processes at country level.
• Establish and maintain alliances and partnerships with various inter-agency partners and working groups to ensure active participation and promotion of UN Women’s vision and mission within the UNDAF and other UN inter-agency frameworks, in close partnership with other UNCT gender advisors/specialists.
• Monitor and report on the allocation and use of UN resources allocated to gender equality by the UN system and propose changes to maximize use of resources.
• Prepare briefing materials for the UNW Representative on issues to be discussed in UNCT and other events and meetings. Follow up on required action/outstanding issues and report on outcome/result. Alert UNW Representative on critical issues for action to be addressed.
• Participate in global practice network on coordination, sharing and learning best practices to keep abreast of and/or to contribute to on-going debates and strategic thinking and to exchange experience and/or seek support on coordination issues affecting UNW and UN system programs and operations.
Programme Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation , and Results Based Reporting:
• Ensure individual project interventions are developed within the overall country programme contributing to the achievements of both immediate and overall UN Women Annual Work Plan.
• Ensure overall programme and individual project work plans and budgets are developed and implementation modalities agreed upon.
• Initiate and lead capacity building programmes for government and NGOs.
• Substantively monitor programme/project implementation. Assess implementation and financial management , analyze progress in achievement of objectives and results, propose direction and solutions, distill lessons learned and best practices.
• Ensure that programme/project reviews are undertaken timely and all reporting requirements are met.
Knowledge Management and Communications:
• Collect and share good practices and lessons learned on coordination and gender mainstreaming in UN system programming and development at country level to contribute to development of knowledge products and tools in UN Women.
• Lead the Country Office’s efforts in developing and implementing a communications strategy in line with the UN Women corporate guidelines on communications.
• Act as the Focal Person for the Country Office on Communications and advise the UN Women Representative on all communications events and activities.
• Coordinate and/or carry out information and communication activities to ensure coherence with Corporate UN Women and UNCT information and communication goals and objectives.
Support to UN Women Representative on Advocacy, Representation, Partnerships, and Resource Mobilization:
• Build and maintain effective partnerships with various stakeholders at regional, national and local levels, for delivery of the women’s rights agenda in the country.
• Represent UN Women in government, partners and UN meetings as appropriate and ensure a full brief to the UNW Representative.
• Identify and follow-up opportunities for resource mobilization for UN Women’s work in the country in consultation with the UN Women Representative.
• Support the UN Women Representative in managing activities and other promotional events to engage bilateral and multilateral institutions/donors, private sector and civil society to expand and/or sustain interest and resources for UN Women programs and joint UN system programs.
• Act as OIC in the absence of the UN Women Representative.
• Perform any other duties as may be requested by the UN Women Country Representative and the UN Women Regional Director.
Impact of Results:
The successful management of UN Women programmes and UN Joint Coordination activities will facilitate and enhance the ability of UN Women to work effectively and efficiently impact on women’s lives in the country – hence achieving the core principles of the MDGs. The key results also impact on the success of the UN Country Team activities, strengthening of overall coordination capacity, implementation of the UN System reform and on the design and operation of UN activities, creation of strategic partnerships for UNCT programming including UNDAF implementation and support of national strategies and priorities.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
• Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
• Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity: Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
• Ethics and Values: Promoting Ethics and Integrity / Creating Organizational Precedents
• Organizational Awareness: Building support and political acumen
• Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring: Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
• Working in Teams: Building and promoting effective teams
• Communicating Information and Ideas: Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
• Self-management and Emotional intelligence: Creating an emotionally intelligent organization\
• Conflict Management / Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements: Leveraging conflict in the interests of the organization & setting standards
• Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning: Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
• Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Fair and transparent decision-making; calculated risk-taking
• Ability to conceptualize and convey strategic vision from the spectrum of development to experience.
• Demonstrated negotiating, cultural sensitivity and diplomatic skills.
• Well-developed people management skills.
• Provide information, tools, resources to support work achievement.
• Effectiveness orientation and pro-activity.
• Ability to leverage information technology , executive information systems , management techniques and tools for optimal office performance.
• Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
Required Skills and Experience
• Master`s degree or equivalent in development related disciplines, international relations , development studies or other social science fields.
• At least 7 years of experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in development cooperation, international relations , public administration or other related field, some of which should be in the area of gender equality and women’s rights at the international level, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programs.
• Written and oral proficiency in English is required. Knowledge of Portuguese an added advantage.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.