Job Title: Senior Disaster Risk Management/Urban Specialist
Job #: 170114
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Duties and Accountabilities
- The selected candidate will be expected to play a dual role as senior technical specialist covering urban and DRM issues.
The selected candidate will be expected to lead and support teams/projects and work on the urban/DRM portfolio in Nigeria and the West Africa sub-region and working closely with HQ and country based staff. The candidate will on average be expected to spend one week per month travelling within Nigeria and the sub-region.
In this role the candidate:
- Leads missions and supervises major projects in the practice as a technical expert; interacts with clients at the policy level, organizes and manages policy development and evaluation papers in collaboration with practice agencies and donors.
- Produces major/complex reports.
- Works independently under general direction of unit manager, and guides and mentors more junior staff.
- Leads and supports the preparation and implementation of urban and local service delivery lending and analytic operations and programs.
- Leads and participates in dialogue with relevant national and local government agencies, international agencies, non-governmental organizations and their project support teams.
- Contributes to business development efforts in urban and local governance jointly with the PM and Lead Technical Specialist (LTS), in full coordination with the CMU.
- Coordinates day-to-day Bank activities on urban and associated issues, including infrastructure, institutional development, monitoring and evaluation, capacity building and analytical and advisory assistance.
- Provides guidance and hands-on support to implementing agencies and management units, assisting them in monitoring project progress, procurement processing, preparing and maintaining essential documentation for these processes. Identify potential problems and advise on required actions.
- Participates in the review of technical documents throughout the various stages of procurement of project financed services, goods, and works; and manage and monitor disbursement and safeguard implementation
- Generates ‘think pieces’ and ‘best practice’ papers; handles complex technical, institutional and program implementation issues in the practice; leads the development of proposals; leads the interface with member governments and agencies in resolving implementation issues.
- Plays key role in implementation of practice strategy; advises borrowers and colleagues on technical matters, supervises the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to Bank standards; evaluates studies and practice-related project documentation.
- Employs appropriate methodologies for handling simple and complex procurement tasks and/or issues.
- Contributes to practice policy; makes recommendations on strategies and policy options for member governments.
- Works closely with other GPs and the CMU on issues of mutual interest, such as decentralization, and to provide support on projects and initiatives led by other GPs and the CMU (such as SCDs, CPS).
- Performs regular reviews of financial/fiduciary, technical, safeguards, budgetary issues, and prepare relevant reports and updates on implementation progress.
- Makes regular and as needed field visits to address issues, consult stakeholders and review project and activity implementation.
- Provides continuous feedback to the CMU on urban and local government issues and report on progress to relevant partners within Government and among Development Partners.
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning/Development, Engineering, Economics/Finance or related field with 8 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Past experience and solid track record in World Bank lending operations in urban and local government issues.
- Strong track record in leading and contributing to analytical products in urban and local government issues.
- Written and spoken fluency in French is desirable.
- Previous experience in donor coordination initiatives is desirable
- Past experience and solid track record in leading complex policy dialogue and operational engagement in urban and local government issues.
- Integrative Skills – Understands relevant cross-practice areas how they are interrelated; able to undertake cross-practice work in lending and non-lending operations.
- Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena – Translates technical and cross-country knowledge into practical applications and contributions to country and practice strategies; interacts with clients at the policy level.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Initiates collaboration across boundaries and broadly across WBG, and brings differing ideas into the forefront.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Creates, applies and shares knowledge from across and outside WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions.
- Make Smart Decisions – Recommends and takes decisive action.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.
- Policy Dialogue Skills – Anticipates needs and requests in the field and conducts independent policy discussions with representatives of the government and non-government partners.
- Urban Policy, Strategy, and Institutions – Solid understanding of urban policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
- Urban Infrastructure and Services Delivery – Deep and broad understanding of urban services delivery; can draw conclusions and make key recommendations.
- ESW/TA Policy, Strategic and Technical Analysis for Country/Sector Issues – Experienced in using key relevant sector/theme analytical tools and able to translate theoretical concepts into practical approaches for Bank AAA work.
- Lead and Innovate – Develops innovative solutions with others.
- Deliver Results for Clients – Achieves results and identifies mission-driven solutions for the client.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 13th February, 2017.