Job Title: Legal Counsel
Job Reference: 1208
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- The Legal Counsel will have to support the Legal, Contracts and risk management of the Group.
- Corporate Matters
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial/business agreements associated with sales and marketing
- Perform or have performed company secretary functions
- Advise on and prepare necessary documentation for inter-company transactions in respect of corporate matters as requested
- Comment on draft sales and purchase agreements within the normal trade.
- Participate in negotiations as required.
- Advise project managers/contracts engineers/procurement department on
- Contractual matters relating to subcontracts as requested.
- Draft and / or comment on other agreements as required on group and regional basis.
- Draft, prepare and negotiate client contracts.
- Handling of sale and acquisitions of equipment and equity interests on an as requested basis.
- Manage the legal aspect of a wide range of transactions for Assets and Commercial, including complex contracts, all aspects of workout, restructuring, collection and risk analysis.
- Draft and review various types of agreements with partners as requested.
- Manage outside counsel and vendors, including fees, use of, etc.
Handling of Disputes and Litigations:
- Keep record of disputes and litigations involving group companies listed under “Corporate Matters” above.
- Handle litigations falling under a) above, including the engagement of external legal advisor in consultation with the Corporate V.P. & General Counsel.
General Legal Advise:
- Advise and assist the Regional Vice President and the Corporate VP & General Counsel on legal matters upon request.
- Ensure compliance monitoring and internal controls are in place, including processes for management of operational risk, in accordance with Company and regulatory standards.
- The Legal Counsel has always the authority to act to protect the best interests of the Group.
- Special authority is granted in order to enable signature on behalf of companies in relation to company secretarial functions as decided from time to time.
- In matters handled by, general or special authority may be conferred to the Legal Advisor from case to case.
- External: With Clients, Suppliers, Partners, Owners and others as necessary.
- Internal: With Corporate V.P. & General Counsel, Legal & Contracts Manager, Senior Legal Counsel and other Legal Counsels and others as necessary.
- Master degree in Law.
- A minimum of 5 years (post articles) experience
- Knowledge of and experience in cross border transactions will be a significant advantage
- In-depth knowledge and experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts
- Team player and business-minded lawyer who possess good common sense and sound
- Should hold a practicing certificate in the appropriate jurisdiction
- Strong analytical, oral and written English, communication skills
- Well-honed negotiation, advocacy skills, judgment, strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent business judgment and ability to apply business solutions to legal problems
- High level of integrity and proficiency with personal computers
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply