Job Title: Nigeria Country Director
The WCS Nigeria Country Director is tasked with the responsibility of effectively leading and managing the WCS Nigeria Country Program. The primary focus of the Country Program at this time is to achieve conservation and protected area management objectives through the Cross River Gorilla landscape project and the Yankari Game Reserve project. The Country program director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of management of WCS programs in Nigeria and for identification and assessment of additional opportunities as they arise. The Nigeria Program is managed within WCS’s Sudano-Sahel Region.
Core Responsibilities Include:
- • Lead the WCS country program in Nigeria in consultation with the Regional Director, Sudano-Sahel Region and the Africa Program team based in New York.
- • Act as legal representative of WCS in Nigeria, working in consultation with the Regional Director and with the WCS Office of General Counsel.
- • Act as WCS representative in Nigeria with all government partners including the Nigeria government and bilateral donors/agencies, media, internal and external stakeholders.
- • Oversee development and implementation of the WCS Nigeria strategy in consultation with the Regional Director and in synergy with transboundary and Sudano-Sahel strategies.
- • Prepare and implement WCS Nigeria Country Program work plans and associated budgets, and approve related project workplans and budgets.
- • Ensure line management of WCS Nigeria project leaders and senior staff operating in the country.
- • Fundraise from public and private sources for the Nigeria Program in collaboration with other WCS fundraising teams (e.g. Sudano-Sahel Region, Africa Program, Program Development, Global Resources).
- • Prepare annual country reports and oversee preparation of reports on projects and for donors, and evaluate on a regular basis progress against strategies and workplans.
- • Collaborate with other WCS initiatives including but not limited to the WCS Marine Program, Species Program, and Conservation Solutions team
- • Successful experience developing, managing, and overseeing the implementation of conservation programs, with at
- least 5 years field experience in Africa.
- • MSc or PhD in conservation, ecology, or related discipline required.
- • Proven fundraising experience for conservation from public and private sources, preferably in Africa.
- • Demonstrated capacity in financial planning and management.
- • A track-record of success in conservation strategy, implementation, and fundraising.
- • Ability to work under difficult conditions and in security sensitive area.
- • Strong commitment to achievement of WCS’s conservation mission.
- • English language proficiency required, French language skills also desired.
How to Apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications, should Click Here to Apply
Application Deadline: 28 February 2017.