Abt Associates – The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and
health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Assistant
Req Id: 47023
Locations: Bauchi & Sokoto
- Abt Associates seeks a qualified Project Assistant to support the International Health Division in Nigeria.
- The global USAID-funded Health Finance and Governance (HFG) project helps to improve health in developing countries by expanding people’s access to health care.
- Led by Abt Associates, the project team works with partner countries to increase their domestic resources for health, manage those precious resources more effectively, and make wise purchasing decisions.
- HFG Nigeria seeks two state program coordinators to coordinate HFG’s activities on Health Care Financing for RMNCH in two of USAID’s focus states, Bauchi and Sokoto, respectively. The areas of work include assessment of the adequacy of infrastructure and health workers in public health facilities to carry out key MNCH, Family Planning (FP), and Reproductive Health (RH) interventions; implementation of core analytics to develop state-specific health care financing strategies; strengthen governance systems and improve health financing functions. The coordinator will track the progress of HFG activities in the state and intervene where necessary to facilitate and maintain progress.
- The Project Assistants will report to the Chief of Party. These positions are located in Bauchi and Sokoto States Nigeria.
- As a result, this six-year global project increases the use of both primary and priority health services, including HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, and reproductive health services.
- Designed to fundamentally strengthen health systems, HFG will support countries as they navigate the economic transitions needed to achieve universal health care. HFG is working in more than 20 countries worldwide, including Nigeria.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordination of HFG-Nigeria health financing activities in the state (liaising with team in Abuja and Bethesda)
- Responsible for engaging, coordinating and communicating with stakeholders and partners working on health financing at the State-level. Track the progress of HFG activities in the state and intervene where necessary to facilitate and maintain progress
- Lead the Capacity Building efforts, field work, quality assurance and reporting of LGA MNCH/FP/RH Service Delivery Readiness Assessment in Bauchi and Sokoto States.
- Support activities of project health finance specialists and consultants in the state towards:
- successful completion of health care financing core diagnostics,
- design of a mix of state specific healthcare financing mechanisms,
- and other HF activities by the project in the state
- Coordinate activities in state towards the strengthening of health financing institutional capacity through the establishment of health care financing technical working groups (TWGs) and health financing units and provide support towards optimal function of these structures.
- Represent HFG at various health care financing fora at state level, including but not limited to the TWGs
- Identify and contribute to documentation of HFG’s lessons learned success stories
- Write and submit detailed and good quality weekly and monthly activities report using agreed templates
- Participate in other project related activities as advised by the COP
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Graduate Degree in Public Health, Public Administration, Management or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years senior level work experience in health program management in developing countries, or equivalent.
- Experience working on a donor funded RMNCH/FP program is preferred.
- Previous supervision or team leader experience.
- Understanding of USAID and field Missions; USG audiences, trends and requirements.
- Proven programmatic, technical and managerial expertise in providing support to institutions to strengthen their management and/or leadership capacity, systems and processes, and sustainability potential.
- Demonstrated capacity to collaborate with colleagues, teams and partner organizations to achieve results.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Computer skills: Windows applications for word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Demonstrated leadership and capacity to oversee USAID-funded (sub) projects.
- 3+ years of experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits
- Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce.
- Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply