African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Industrial and Trade Development
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092435
The Vice Presidency for ‘Private Sector Infrastructure and Industrialization’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s ten year strategy High 5s priority of ‘Industrialize Africa’.
- Develop the ‘Africa Industrial Strategy’
- Provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by leveraging on experienced individuals who can be consulted on complex transactions;
- Develop new financing instruments;
- Act as the Bank’s Spoke person on ‘Industrialize Africa’.
The Hiring Department
- The primary roles of the Industrial and Trade Development Department are to provide oversight and leadership on all matters which impact on industrial and trade development as articulated in the Bank’s Industrialization Strategy for Africa [ and Pillar II, ‘Enhancing Industrial and Trade Development’ of the Regional Integration Policy and Strategy].
- The Department nurtures public-private partnerships, strengthens indigenous entrepreneurship, and promote integration of African economies into regional and global value chains, trade and inward investment flows for African member countries with a special emphasis on Low-Income countries and Fragile States, gender issues and green growth.
- The Department supports Regional Hubs’ activities through sectoral expertise with respect to the industrial sector and trade development project identification, preparation, appraisal, implementation and portfolio management.
- It also supports the Bank’s diagnostic and enabling environment reform programs to improve the investment climate and promote regional and global value chains development and trade.
- The Department shapes/refines strategy, formulates policies, develops new instruments and draws up related guidelines to direct the activities of the Bank in the industrial and trade development space.
Duties and responsibilities
- The position of Director Industrial and Trade Development Department which reports to the Vice President for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is key to the attainment of the Bank’s transformative agenda for Africa.
- The Director is responsible for all aspects of planning and execution of the activities of the Industrial and Trade Development Department.
- The Director is accountable for performing the responsibilities, modeling the behaviors and maintaining the technical and managerial competencies (listed below) in his or her capacity as Director in the Complex. Accountability means being answerable for managing quality, risks, results, institutional initiatives and compliance with Bank policies and procedures and keeping the Department at the forefront through needed upgrades and innovation.
Including Desirable Skills, knowledge and Experience:
- This role requires a minimum of a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Finance, Banking, or any other relevant discipline.
- It also requires a minimum of ten (10) years (5 of which should be at a managerial level) of extensive and in-depth transactional experience in industries and services project finance and trade finance development.
- Fluency in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language is required.
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- A position specification with further information about the role will be posted on the Russell Reynolds Associates website. Please call +32 (2) 743.12.25 for any further assistance.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted.
- Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered.
- The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level.
- The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their full CV’s together with a supporting statement of no more than two sides of A4, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role to: AFDB@russellreynolds.com Please quote the role title and assignment code “1702-007BL” in the subject heading of the email