The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent medical aid organization based in Dakar, Senegal. ALIMA has three principal areas of expertise: providing medical care in humanitarian crises, supporting the development of national medical organizations, and conducting operational research to bring medical innovation to the field.
Since its creation in 2009, ALIMA has treated over 1,500,000 patients in 34 medical projects in some of the most challenging humanitarian contexts in the world. ALIMA’s team has grown from seven co-founders to 1,500 staff, its budget from 250,000 euros to 24 million in 2015, its network of medical partners from two to five, and its research activities from pilot phases to conducting the first large-scale clinical trial of anti-Ebola treatment in Guinea.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Coordinator (M/F)
Location: Monguno, Borno
Mission and Main Activities
- The Project Coordinator is responsible for ALIMA operational response in the Project. In close collaboration with the mission coordination team, define and plan the Project objectives and priorities, identifying population’s health and humanitarian needs, analysing the context and the humanitarian issues at stake, the risks and constraints and calculating human and financial needs.
- Coordinate, in close collaboration with the Head of Mission, its implementation in order to efficiently ensure the goals as well as to improve targeted population’s health conditions and humanitarian situation.
- Supervise the political and humanitarian situation in the project’s area in order to ensure that ALIMA’s charter, policies and image are respected with regards to national employees, populations, authorities and partners
- Together with the project team, evaluate needs by identifying the population’s health status, by analysing the context (environment, actors involved, negotiations for access etc.) and associated risks and constraints in order to define priorities and projects goals and to calculate material, human and financial resources needed
- Together with the project team and the Head of Mission monitor the security situation in the area of intervention, propose security guidelines and guarantee their implementation in order to ensure the security if the project team.
- Propose and carry out exploratory missions, according to Head of Mission’s indications, in order to better comprehend context, priorities, constraints and population needs
- Ensure a data collection and epidemiological surveillance system, in agreement with the Medical Coordinator, in order to define medical and technical programs and preventive protocols for the targeted population
- Inform the field team on the instructions given by the mission coordination promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality and full compliance with security rules and medical ethics
- Supervise full implementation of safety and health protocols, reporting the Medical Coordination on risky behaviours, in order to ensure safe working conditions for the project staff
- Be responsible of the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities he/she is accountable for
- In coordination with the Administration Manager and Activity Managers, identify training needs, provide individual follow up and coaching, carry out end of mission evaluation of the team members and lead internal communication initiatives in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional development and to maximize their capabilities and commitment to ALIMA values and project’s goals.
- Supervise the project material resources put at ALIMA’s disposition in order to ensure a correct use and its longevity.
- Supervise all orders (medical and logistical) and the Project’s purchases as well as the financial indicators, with the support of the coordination, in order ensure efficiency and early detect deviations and its causes.
- Steer and supervise the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project in collaboration with the project team and according to the internal and donor indicators in order to evaluate the level of achievement of the project objectives.
- Provide reporting to the coordination team on project’s evolution and propose corrections if needed
- Elaborate the Project’s institutional memory, keeping written records (and file them) on its development, in order to broadcast ALIMA achievements and improve awareness
- In coordination with the Administration Manager and Activity Managers, plan and organise the organizational charts, plan and distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their understanding of the issues linked to the Project and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals
Experience and Skills
- University Degree or Paramedical Diploma/Degree desirable.
- Experiences with international medical NGOs & experience in project management desirable.
- Experience in security management desirable.
- English Speaking, reading and writing, mandatory. French is an asset.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel & internet).
- Negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Previous experience in humanitarian aid
- Contract term: contract under French law; contract length: 6 months, renewable.
- Salary: depending on experience + per diem
ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
- Evacuation of the employee
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference “Nigeria – Project Coordinator Monguno” in the subject line.
Click here to download the Position Description (PDF)
Application Deadline: 30th March, 2017.