INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
Job Title:Project Manager Education
Terms of reference
Duty station: Maiduguri, with missions to Banki and Abuja
Contract duration: 9 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 5 national staff
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICANTS TO THIS POSITION MUST BE PROFICIENT IN ITALIAN
General contexts of the project
The project seeks to help IDPs and host communities in the area of Banki, Bama LGA, Borno State in North-Eastern Nigeria. Through the project INTERSOS will set up 6 primary schools with latrines, will full furnish the new classrooms, train 100 teachers in pedagogy and child protection, set up 6 child friendly spaces for children under 5 years old, managed together with parents associations and set up psychosocial activities for children and their families with the support of psychologist within the team. All the constructions activities will be realized through a cash for work approach, involving directly the beneficiaries under the supervision of specialized labor. The whole community will actively participate at the project implementation through the creation of round table that will include, among others, local authorities. Moreover the Beneficiaries will be involved in the management of Child Friendly Spaces, and through awareness raising activities (trainings and campaigns).
The crisis that hits 6 federal states in North-Eastern Nigeria afflicts 26 million people, 14 million of which is in urgent need of humanitarian assistance (50% are children). The main needs are concentrated in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States, where the violence of the conflict has caused massive displacement, food insecurity and malnutrition, as well as a broadly need in accessible and functioning infrastructures and primary services. Some areas have been freed by the Nigerian Army, permitting the access to aid workers, only in the area controlled by the National Army, to respond to even greater population needs. Only in Borno State, 4.4 million people goes through a vulnerable condition, 2, 6 millions of those belongs to host communities, 1.4 million are IDPs and 0.6 million are returnees. The project is located in Banki Town, where Intersos is already active with food distribution activities, funded by WFP, which hosts around 30.000 IDPs living in abandoned structures given by the Army or in shelters given to around 7,500 individuals by partners operating in the area. No schools are actually available in Banki, most of them have been destroyed during the fights between Boko Haram and the Nigerian Army, the few school structure still available have been left by the Army to the population to be used has shelters, in fact the greatest part of population does not have access to housing structures or primary services as water or hygienic facilities. Give the recent possibility to access Banki LGA, no specific figure are available on numbers of children and pupils in need of school and psychosocial support in the implementation area.
General purpose of the position
- The general purpose of the post is to be in charge of the management, implementation, follow up and supervision of the Italian Cooperation Agency funded project in Banki, Bama LGA, Borno State, Nigeria.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Management, coordination and supervision of the project staff for the implementation of activities and services, ensuring timely and quality delivery of the shelters and WASH facilities in compliance with relevant Standard Operating Procedures, International Principles and Guidelines as well as INTERSOS Fundamental Charter and Code of Ethics;
- Data collection and development of regular reports, including donor reporting and the Project Appraisal Tool;
- Regular relationships with local government and authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, and donors at field site level;
- Monitoring of financial supervision of expenditures;
- Coordination with the Finance and Logistic department to procure material necessary for the implementation of the activities to ensure adequate supply at the intervention sites;
- Monitoring and follow up education and child protection issues in the implementation project area and sharing of information in particular with the Sector Coordinator and the management of the mission;
- Monitoring the security situation in the areas of intervention and sharing information with the Security focal point at mission level;
- Participation in relevant technical coordination meetings and working groups.
- Degree in International Development or in technical relevant sector as Education, Pedagogy, Psychology, or similar
- At least 3 years of significant international experience in similar positions or in humanitarian sector, including emergency settings
- Working experience in INGOs, in project management positions
- Working experience in education, protection and child protection sector
- Experience in working with IDPs or refugees in camps and non-camp settings
- Previous experience in working in Nigeria and Chad Lake Basin (desirable)
- Previous experience in management of AICS funds (desirable)
- Previous experience in developing and implementing M&E activities (desirable)
- Knowledge of the cluster system
- Ability to administrate funds and manage logistics aspects and human resources
- Mastery of IT tools (MS Office package, internet, e-mail, etc.)
- Proficient knowledge of Italian and English is required
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, interpersonal skills and analytic approach
- Ability to take initiative and work autonomously and in the respect of deadlines
- Ability to work within multi-ethnic and multicultural teams, also in austere and hostile environments
- Ability to share accommodation when required
- Holder of a driving license (desirable)
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CVs , motivation letter providing the name, position and contact information of at least two references, including the last line manager and excluding family members to email address to: firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying in subject line: “PM Protection – Nigeria”