Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating lasting change in the lives of children in over 20 countries around the world. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, innovation and collaboration, our work takes us into the heart of communities, where we help children and families help themselves.
We work with other organizations, governments, non-profits and a variety of local partners while maintaining our own independence without political agenda or religious orientation. Save the Children’s mission is to Inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Technical Adviser
Contract Type: Full-Time
Contract length: 1 year
- The WASH Adviser (advisor) is based in Borno and is the lead technical adviser in medium to large scale emergencies.
- The adviser, with limited support, leads on sectoral assessment, programme design and provides technical advice to ensure quality programs.
- The advisor develops the sector strategy of the master budget.
- The advisor leads in technical coordination and supports fundraising, recruitment and procurement.
- The advisor supports colleagues and works to ensure that broader sector coordination mechanisms are functioning effectively.
- The advisor mentors and builds the capacity of Save the Children and partners’ staff.
- The adviser plays a leading role in national and state sector technical working groups.
- The adviser plays a technical leadership role within the response team, ensuring WASH programs are of high quality and meet recognized standards.
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of five years of experience working in the water and sanitation field including emergency response.
- BA/B.Sc in Engineering or equivalent required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of water and sanitation engineering and training in the use of a variety of water equipment including emergency mobile water treatment and storage unit, sanitation kits, water treatment chemicals, design of boreholes, rehabilitation of hand dug wells, pipe lines, basic knowledge of treatment of sewage’s as well as concrete storage’s, etc.
- Previous experience of programme management.
- Ensures that systems are in place for longer-term operation and maintenance of all water supply and sanitation facilities and that projects are implemented in a consultative and participatory manner with beneficiaries.
- Demonstrated depth and breadth in participatory methods to engage local communities in needs assessments, design and implementation of local, culturally acceptable water and sanitation interventions.
- Support the long-term capacity building and programmatic integration of water and sanitation into Save the Children core programming in health, with particular emphasis on hygiene promotion and environmental sanitation.
- Commitment to, thorough understanding of, and able to train staff in participation and accountability approaches.
- Guide water and sanitation teams towards an integrated approach with other Save the Children programs to address community health needs, as well as cross-cutting themes such as gender.
- Demonstrated ability to set up monitoring & evaluation systems in large complex programmes.
- Demonstrated ability to set up learning and development processes.
- Proven ability of mentoring and coaching.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- Capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of Save the Children’s mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant contexts.
- Specific experience of designing and managing DFID, ECHO, OFDA and other major donor project
- Experience at technical level representation and in developing and negotiating successful partnerships with donors.
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports in English.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven ability to influence change at an operational and strategic level.
- Please apply in English or French using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
- Applications will be considered as they are received
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 3rd April, 2017.