Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Position: Special Events Intern, Livelihood Market Recovery Assessment
Length of Internship: 12 weeks
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU tryst Fund and ECHO, the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection, livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
General Position Summary
- The Project Intern – Job Creation will support in the development and implementation of activities that transition girls in school or in informal education into economic activities including paid employment positions.
- These include into existing value chains of Nigerian-based companies and market driven employment and entrepreneurship activities; and apprenticeship/internship opportunities.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Assisting the Livelihoods and Market Systems Specialist with procurement around the event, including managing bookings for conference facilities, follow-up with creation and delivery of event materials
- Working directly with procurement to ensure timely delivery of event items
- Ensuring timely printing and delivery of the LMRA booklet
- Ensuring that activities planned are within budget allocation
- Delivery of invitation cards to specific individuals as directed by the Livelihoods and Market Systems Specialist
- Development and maintenance of mailing, media and guest lists
- Following up with invited guests
- Creation of an event manual to be converted into a toolkit for the humanitarian team
- All other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Experience
- Education level: recently completed or completing a Bachelor’s Degree. Social Sciences candidates preferred (International Studies, Economics, Political Science);
- Strong interpersonal, verbal (including phone work) and written communication skills
- Basic computer processing skills including Microsoft Office
- An interest in the non-profit sector and in special events
- Previous internship is an advantage
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
Application Deadline: 7th April, 2017.