African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Financial Analyst Assistant – Short Term Contracts (STS)
Location: Cote d’Ivoire
- The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The role of the Bank’s Private Sector Development Department is to promote private sector in Regional Member Countries, ensuring that it plays a central role in laying the foundations in the development role of the Bank, in line with the Bank’s 10 Year Strategy and HI 5 initiatives.
- As part of the Private Sector Development Department, the Strategy and New Products Division is responsible for preparing strategies, policies, guidelines, and analytical tools relevant to the sector; it also ensures global client management and undertakes specialized assignments for the Regions and Sectors, providing ad hoc advice on transaction bankability and structuring, finance and economic modelling and technical assistance for Private Sector operations.
- This position is part of the Investment Analytics and Modelling Team (IAMT), with a core role to assist Senior Analysts in the development of tailored Financial and Economic Models using Microsoft Excel.
- The incumbents will support the team in a number of highly varied areas of work.
- The role will require significant communication within the team and liaison with other departments, therefore strong interpersonal skills are essential. Based on their skills, aptitude and experience there will be opportunities to progress and develop the role.
Duties and Responsibilities
As part of the Investment Analytics and Modelling Team, the role will be to assist Senior Analysts in the following:
- Financial Modelling
- Financial Model review
- Socioeconomic Impact Modelling
- Communication with Investment Officers/Sponsors/Third Party in person and remotely
- Supporting all areas of activity within the Investment Analytics and Modelling Team
The Investment Analytics and Modelling Team’s work is primarily aiding the Investment Officers in appraising their projects, from a financial, development and economic perspective. The Investment Analytics and Modelling Team prides itself on providing high-quality products and first class service. The role has a strong focus on financial consultancy skills which are transferable universally across the financial sector.
Selection Criteria (Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience)
- We encourage driven, diligent and collaborative candidates with strong initiative. The role requires working to deadlines, prioritising workload and providing a high level of service at all times.
Skills requested are as follows:
- Strong analytical, problem solving and numerical skills.
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, ability to multitask, attention to detail and ability to work with a diverse workforce.
- The desire to perform to a consistently high standard.
- The ability and desire to learn and to develop the role.
- A desire to deliver excellent service at all times while developing a strong rapport with stakeholders.
- A logical analytical approach to developing and implementing a solution.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Be a strong team player with a proactive “can-do” approach. Applicants must have the ability, energy and appropriate demeanor to take initiative and plan and carry out necessary tasks to ensure the team’s activities are successful.
- Excellent sense of initiative, confidentiality, enthusiasm, and team spirit.
Experience requested is as follows:
- Have a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience working within a financial environment.
- Experience of using Microsoft Excel to an intermediate level.
- Experience in international organizations will be an asset.
Knowledge requested is as follows:
- Hold at least a Bachelor Degree or its equivalent in the following area of competence: science, engineering, maths, or economics-based degree or background.
- Have an understanding and interest in financial, accounting, and economics concepts with a desire to develop a technical career in international development Project Finance.
- Knowledge of cash-flow modelling is not essential, but would be an asset.
- Knowledge of international economic development issues is not essential, but would be an asset.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and preferably, SAP.
Job Title: Director, Industrial and Trade Development
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092435
The Vice Presidency for ‘Private Sector Infrastructure and Industrialization’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s ten year strategy High 5s priority of ‘Industrialize Africa’.
The objectives of the Complex are to:
- Develop the ‘Africa Industrial Strategy’
- Provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by leveraging on experienced individuals who can be consulted on complex transactions;
- Develop new financing instruments;
- Act as the Bank’s Spoke person on ‘Industrialize Africa’.
The Hiring Department
- The primary roles of the Industrial and Trade Development Department are to provide oversight and leadership on all matters which impact on industrial and trade development as articulated in the Bank’s Industrialization Strategy for Africa [ and Pillar II, ‘Enhancing Industrial and Trade Development’ of the Regional Integration Policy and Strategy].
- The Department shapes/refines strategy, formulates policies, develops new instruments and draws up related guidelines to direct the activities of the Bank in the industrial and trade development space.
- The Department supports Regional Hubs’ activities through sectoral expertise with respect to the industrial sector and trade development project identification, preparation, appraisal, implementation and portfolio management.
- The Department nurtures public-private partnerships, strengthens indigenous entrepreneurship, and promote integration of African economies into regional and global value chains, trade and inward investment flows for African member countries with a special emphasis on Low-Income countries and Fragile States, gender issues and green growth.
- It also supports the Bank’s diagnostic and enabling environment reform programs to improve the investment climate and promote regional and global value chains development and trade.
Duties and responsibilities
- The position of Director Industrial and Trade Development Department which reports to the Vice President for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is key to the attainment of the Bank’s transformative agenda for Africa.
- The Director is responsible for all aspects of planning and execution of the activities of the Industrial and Trade Development Department.
- The Director is accountable for performing the responsibilities, modeling the behaviors and maintaining the technical and managerial competencies (listed below) in his or her capacity as Director in the Complex. Accountability means being answerable for managing quality, risks, results, institutional initiatives and compliance with Bank policies and procedures and keeping the Department at the forefront through needed upgrades and innovation.
Including Desirable Skills, knowledge and Experience:
- This role requires a minimum of a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Finance, Banking, or any other relevant discipline.
- It also requires a minimum of ten (10) years (5 of which should be at a managerial level) of extensive and in-depth transactional experience in industries and services project finance and trade finance development.
- Fluency in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language is required.
Job Title: Director, Communication & External Relations Department
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50083099
- The purpose of the Department is to plan, prepare and implement public relations and institutional communication programs designed to make the Bank better known by its various audiences so as to promote social and economic development in Africa, and to establish and maintain the Bank’s credibility and good reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution.
- The Department is also responsible for enabling the Bank to understand better, how the institution is perceived both internally and externally.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the general guidance and supervision of the Chief of Staff & Director of Cabinet of the President, the Director of the Communication and External Relations Department will be responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating and leading the activities of the Department.
- The Director will be responsible for two Divisions (‘Communications; ‘External relations’) and will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Leading and having oversight responsibility for the communication team and establishing clear reporting lines for the two Division Managers.
- Being a member of the Executive Team, contributing to the Senior Management Coordination Committee.
- Leading the department’s team to ensure constant review of the Bank’s communication and branding strategies and ensuring that they are effective in promoting the Bank’s policies, programs and interventions as one of the leading financial development institutions in Africa.
- Acting as the Bank’s spokesperson on the instructions of the President and Senior Management.
- Advising the President and Senior Management on public relations and communication issues within and outside the Bank.
- Leading and coordinating Bank-wide communications across the Bank’s organisational units in all offices (HQ and Field Offices), and for specific operational or knowledge projects, by providing general guidelines, and setting clear communication goals and key performance indicators, and ensuring the allocation of necessary human and financial resources to achieve the required objectives.
- Supervising the implementation of the Bank’s communication strategy, especially in key areas of: localised communications; ‘results-based’ communications; support for the Bank as a knowledge institution; and strong and consistent branding.
- Enhancing knowledge and communications to key public and specific groups in regional and non-regional member countries (government services, business circles, NGOs, international organizations, the general public, etc.) and planning, preparing and implementing information programmes to keep them informed of the Bank’s programmes and achievements.
- Preparing and implementing communication programmes to mobilize public opinion to support the economic and social development of Africa, and the Bank’s activities in this area, through the publication of articles and speeches, dissemination of films, organization of exhibitions, visits, debates, etc.
- Ensuring the production and distribution of high quality and informative brochures, publications, press reviews, audio-visual as well as electronic documents for the media and public to enhance the Bank’s image, and maintaining good and close working relations with all key media companies.
- Preparing and disseminating press releases, as well as organizing and conducting press conferences and seminars to present the Bank’s views on major economic, political, social and financial issues and problems in Africa.
- Producing bulletins, information circulars, as well as other publications on Bank activities for regular circulation to all staff, so as to enhance understanding of Management’s objectives and initiatives.
- Providing advice and assistance required for formulating Bank policies and plans on the design, implementation and dissemination of the Bank’s information products and coordinating the publishing and distribution services for printed and electronic publications of the Bank; and
- Implementing the Bank’s information disclosure policy and ensuring that information about the Bank reaches its various audiences through the appropriate channels.
Selection Criteria (Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience)
Competencies: (skills, knowledge and experience):
- At least a Master’s Degree or equivalent in Communications or any related field.
- Preferably a minimum of 10 years of relevant and progressive experience (4 years of which has been in a managerial position) in senior mass communications fields (corporate, non-profit and/or foundation) including public relations, journalism, marketing or related areas, with demonstrated stability and sustained commitment in previous position(s).
- Knowledge of the media and ability to work well with representatives from different sectors of the media.
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to implement and monitor mass communication programmes and campaigns.
- Media relations training and experience, with the ability to detect and monitor emerging media interest in a matter and manage issues of media interest that affect the Bank and its diverse audiences.
- Exceptional writing, editing, verbal and interpersonal communications skills, with a portfolio demonstrating published works and high-level creative, thoughtful and polished printed communications collateral.
- Understanding of and experience with various media software tools.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French and/or English, with a strong command of the other language.
Note: The incumbents will be offered a short term staff service contract (STS) for a period of six (6) months renewable, based on performance and the institution’s needs. This is not a regular position of the African Development Bank.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 12th April, 2017.