BBC News Group employs approximately 1100 staff in 98 international bureaux. It provides multimedia services to a global weekly audience of over 300 million in English and 27 languages around the clock, every day of the year. The bureaux react to breaking news, provide news updates and analysis and produce live programme output. In a highly competitive market, delivering to both UK Licence Fee payers and commercial partners, BBC News services must be reliable and consistent.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: International Hub Bureau Manager
Job Reference: BBC/TP/788768/20942
Job Category: Business/Finance
Business Unit News: W2020 – Africa
- You will report to the International Manager, Africa/Middle East for the day-to-day running of the Nigeria Bureaux [Lagos and Abuja] finances and administration.
- You will also be responsible for the supervision of the financial and administrative affairs in Nigeria.
- You will be responsible for financial control, the administration of strategic initiatives, and best practice in the Nigeria bureaux. This will involve oversight of the preparation of timely, accurate and relevant financial information relating to the Nigeria bureaux as well as to partnerships. In addition, you will ensure best practice across the West Africa [Anglophone] region.
- Within the context above, the International Hub Bureau Manager will be responsible for timely and effective day-to-day co-operation between the Bureaux and the relevant authorities in Nigeria, ensuring best practice in the BBC’s compliance with local regulations governing such areas as financial, tax, media and employment law.
- The key task of this role is to provide efficient functioning of the offices (administration, technology, staffing, business relationships and other aspects that may be required for the smooth day-to-day operation), and to give reliable support to the editorial activity of the Nigeria Bureaux by supervising these areas for all divisions, in compliance with the strategic priorities of all parts of the business. In doing so, the post holder will have to work with the IB and IBF teams, as well as local suppliers where necessary.
- To understand the strategic priorities of all parts of the business and to manage the administration of the bureaux accordingly. To take a regional view of Bureaux support and provide supervision and support for Bureau Managers and Administrative Assistants in the region.
- To ensure compliance in Nigeria, as well as within the BBC in financial, human resource and administrative areas and to be a single point of contact for London on compliance issues, and to advise on levels of risk; to keep the IB and IBF teams in London informed of issues or changes (including legislative ones) which may have implications for the BBC’s operations in Nigeria, and to work with the stakeholders to resolve issues as they arise.
- To supervise financial operations which include:
- Management of bank accounts and petty cash accounts, including monitoring transactions and ensuring transactions are carried out in a timely manner; and that necessary funds to effect payment are always available;
- Oversight of accounting, both in local and foreign currency, in conformity with local legislation, and including the submission of monthly accounts to the IBF team using SAP in compliance with the BBC procedures
- Preparation of budgets, with the IBF team in UK, and management of the budgets for the bureau advising the Bureau Editor of any potential savings or overspends
- Supervision of payroll matters on behalf of the bureau, including payments to freelancers or guest contributors, as well as contractors in other parts of the region
- To oversee preparation and presentation of data for tax submissions to tax authorities and ensure the timely payment of taxes; to keep both the bureaux and the IBF team informed of changes to tax legislation.
- To oversee HR operations which include:
- Maintenance of HR paperwork, i.e. employment agreements, personnel records, records of overtime and leave allocations for local hire staff; ensure that all HR records, internal orders and documentation conform to local labour legislation
- Maintenance of HR data in compliance with the BBC best practice
- Keeping records of mandatory training both in compliance with local legislation and BBC procedures
- Visa support.
- Staff and finance issues in satellite offices.
- To supervise overall administrative issues which include:
- The work of the bureaux with external organisations, making sure that business priorities are met and that agreements are compliant, i.e. relations with the landlord, his agents and the relevant municipal authorities; including supervision of contracts with outside contractors and private landlords; monitoring and resolution of customs issues; and third party distribution arrangements
- Compliance of bureaux maintenance and operation with both BBC and local health and safety standards, as well as fire safety standards and to lead on business continuity issues, liaising at all times with the relevant London staff and Bureaux engineers and IT specialists.
- To supervise a team of managers, administrative assistants, ab accountant, technical and janitorial staff and arrange their job responsibilities to ensure efficient functioning of the Bureaux in all areas in charge.
- To carry out recruitment, appraisals, career development and provide training recommendations as applicable for the Nigeria bureaux support team.
- To assist correspondents and other bureaux staff in the logistical management of coverage, with a view to making it as cost effective and safe as possible.
Knowledge and Experience
- Fluent spoken and written English; excellent communications skills and ability to manage remote communication effectively.
- Excellent negotiating and influencing skills, with demonstrated experience of negotiating contracts with external suppliers and partners.
- Demonstrated experience of introducing new, flexible and efficient working practices.
- Demonstrable ability to handle pressure, meet tight deadlines; to prioritise work and to confidently delegate authority; to manage several projects at the same time.
- Excellent IT skills, with advanced knowledge of and programmes such as Excel, Word and Outlook, as well as the ability to become proficient in internal BBC technology systems.
- A lively interest in the broadcast news, online news and wider media environment and appreciation of the particular demands it may place on financial and administrative work.
- A knowledge of the Nigerian media scene and future trends; sensitivity to and awareness of the role of international broadcasters in Nigeria.
- Good Analytical Skills.
- Experience of supporting and delivering to strategic objectives.
- Sound book keeping experience: working with budgets; preparing financial reports; advising managers of cost issues; good working knowledge of SAP and/or relevant accounting software.
- Thorough knowledge of local tax, commercial, media, labour and safety legislation.
- Experience of managing and motivating a team; strong personal skills and confidence in communicating with people at all levels and from different backgrounds.
- Experience of stakeholder and crisis management.
- Ability to work unsupervised in a busy and pressurised environment.
- Good working knowledge of Health and Safety procedures of the BBC.
- Driving Licence.
- Willingness to travel around Nigeria, West Africa and beyond as required.
- Business Management: Is able to understand commercial imperatives and trading relationships, appropriately applies business principles in terms of costs, the market and added value.
- Decision Making: Is ready and able to take initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of decisions.
- Influencing Others: Presents sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Draws from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Motivation/Drive: Constantly seeks to do things better through setting more challenging goals. Is prepared to question the current way of doing things and take risks in pursuit of excellence.
- Flexibility: Adapts to changing circumstances and displays a positive attitude to the process of change.
- Strategic Thinking: Can identify a vision along with the plan which needs to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues, etc. in the short, medium and longerterm.
- Analytical Skills: Simplifies complex problems, processes or projects. Identifies casual relationships and constructs frameworks for problem-solving and/or development.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 30th April, 2017.