African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). TheBank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Division Manager, Strategic Private Sector Relationships
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092431
The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”. The complex’s objectives are:
- To develop policy and strategy
- Provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions
- Develop new financing instruments
- Act as spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”. The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
The Hiring Department
- This Directorate has the core objective of building, strengthening, and managing the Transformative Partnership on Energy for Africa. This will require broad engagement with other Development Finance Institutions, Regional Member Countries, Non-Regional Member Countries, the private sector and civil society.
- The Strategic Private Sector Relationships Division builds and manages relationships with anchor (global/regional/national) industry players (corporates, project developers), public and private financial institutions, institutional investors and related associations with the objective to increase the number of private sector projects and private sector financing in the energy sector.
- The Manager of the Strategic Private Sector Relationships Division will have the overall responsibility to build and manage relationships with anchor (global/regional) industry players (corporates, project developers), public and private financial institutions, institutional investors, investment funds and related industry associations. This involves regular interaction with and mobilization of finance/investment from these actors.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Director, Energy Partnerships, the incumbent will perform the following duties :
- Lead the Transformative Partnership on Energy for Africa in aspects of coordination related to key strategic private sector stakeholders.
- Manage the “Strategic Private Sector Relationships” Division to build and manage relationships with anchor (global/regional/national) industry players (corporates, project developers), public and private financial institutions, institutional investors and related industry associations.
- Establish and manage a database with key strategic private sector partners for the energy sector (including but not limited to international/local project developers, international/local corporates, international/regional/local financial institutions, Multilateral Development Banks /Development Financial Institutions, international/regional/local institutional investors, industry associations, foundations etc.).
- Ensure regular interaction with these key strategic private sector actors and businesses relevant to the achievement of the New Deal on Energy objectives, including on investment strategies, required sector reforms, project preparation.
- Establish and manage a list of regional/national priority action projects for private investment in Africa’s energy sector.
- Liaise with sponsors, project developers, investors, project preparation facilities and other stakeholders to accelerate preparation of these projects.
- Contribute to ‘New Deal Energy Compacts’ on issues related to the private sector.
- Organize convening events for key strategic private sector partners at the international/regional/national level.
- Lead the mobilization of requisite resources from Development Financial Institutions and private partners, significantly increasing the mobilization of private finance for Africa’s energy sector.
- Manage relationships with private sector stakeholders through appropriate and transparent arrangements to ensure participation of private sector expertise and funding in the energy sector.
- Follow international, regional and local financial sector and other market developments related to private participation/investment in the energy sector, identify new trends and opportunities and act as competence center for other divisions in the Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth Complex and the Bank.
- Lead new financial product development for pooled investment solutions for the energy sector in collaboration with the Director Transformative Energy Partnerships, other relevant departments of the Bank and relevant external partners.
- Manage a regular publication for key private sector stakeholders.
- Foster an environment that stimulates and rewards innovation, creativity and accountability for results, and motivate staff to deliver significant impact on the ground.
- Ensure adequate awareness, training and capacity for private sector concerns in the energy sector in other relevant Bank divisions and local Bank staff.
- Closely collaborate with the Public Energy Initiatives and Partnerships Manager in creating an understanding of private sector needs and public-private partnerships by the public sector.
- Closely collaborate with other relevant Bank departments.
- Undertake any other task the Vice President or Director may assign.
Including Desirable Skills, knowledge and Experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Electrical Engineering, Finance, Business Management, or related subjects.
- Have at least eight (8) years of experience (including three (3) years management), in infrastructure/energy sector with financing focus or in the financial sector (commercial/investment bank or asset/investment manager) with a focus on emerging markets investments, preferably in infrastructure.
- Experience in infrastructure corporate and project finance, preferably in the energy sector, at a commercial or investment bank or an asset/investment manager.
- Proven track record of infrastructure/energy finance in emerging markets.
- Experience in public-private partnerships in infrastructure.
- Experience of forging and managing strategic partnerships with local organizations, governments, corporates, financial institutions, institutional investors.
- Proven track record in achieving results in complex political and institutional settings.
- Ability to innovate and create approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- Ability to communicate effectively and mobilize key actors to delivery (private sector, public sector and civil society).
- Proven ability to build multi-stakeholder partnerships to manage complex objectives and increase private sector participation in infrastructure across Africa.
- Proven ability to build and direct a high performing team to achieve visionary and challenging goals.
- Proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity and the ability to build trust.
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with counterparts, both internal and external.
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with counterparts.
- Deep knowledge of private sector investment requirements and processes, including in the financial sector.
- Clear understanding of the drivers and barriers to success in complex regulatory, political and cultural environments.
- Deep knowledge of corporate and financial sector actors in infrastructure/energy in Africa with an understanding of equity and debt investments.
- Familiarity with the work of multilateral Development Finance Institutions.
- Knowledge of energy landscape in Africa, key challenges and investment opportunities.
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills allied to an ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable policies and initiatives.
- Ability to identify market trends and opportunities for financial innovation.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and preferably SAP.
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted.
- Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered.
- The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level.
- The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 25th May, 2017.