Seefar – We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in East
Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. Our headquarters are in Hong Kong while our employees from 25 different nationalities work across the globe.
- The West Africa Program Officer will be part of the Migration Program working on displaced people, migration, human trafficking and modern slavery issues.
- This role will implement projects in West Africa to time, quality and budget specifications. You will be based in either Nigeria or Senegal and must be fluent in both French and English.
- Job Description
- We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe.
- This role demands someone who is smart, intrinsically motivated, worldly and interested in hard challenges. Seefar has a track record for delivering research, consulting, program design and strategic communications projects in West Africa on migration and human trafficking issues. In 2017 we are implementing multiple modern slavery and migration research and communications projects in West Africa and this role is an investment in expanding our capability there.
The following are the primary Responsibilities of the role, with Estimated Allocations of Time and Attention
Deliver: Project and Mission Implementation
Approximately 80% of your Ttime and Attention:
- Formal project management processes including managing deliverables, reporting processes and logistics.
- Recruitment and training of personnel in various West African countries.
- Ensure project deliverables are met and expectations exceeded where possible.
- Provide regional inputs to programs relating to migration, displaced people, human trafficking and modern slavery.
- Managing project outputs such as managing research tasks, interview transcripts, translations and ensuring field staff complete work according to specifications from our specialist technical teams.
- Liaise with donors and partners to report on projects and manage relationships. For example, this would include briefing donors on progress and spending time talking with relevant teams in our partner organisations.
Develop: Capabilities and Program Portfolio
Approximately 10% of your Time and Attention:
- Contribute to ongoing development of project management processes and procedures.
- Strengthen the Enterprise’s reputation and profile in our areas of expertise in West Africa, potentially including demonstration projects if you assess them to be valuable.
Direct: Global Management:
- Represent and demonstrate the Enterprise’s values.
Approximately 10% of your Time and Attention:
- Cooperate with other areas of the Migration Program and Enterprise, including to communicate substantive and administrative information that supports corporate management overall. For example, this would include ensuring effective internal reporting at the project level.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
An Excellent Candidate:
- To excel in this role, you will start with extensive experience working in West Africa with some of that experience relevant to migration, human trafficking or modern slavery issues.
- You will live in either Nigeria or Senegal and be fluent in both French and English.
- You have a track record of supervising others effectively and would have delivered projects in West Africa successfully before.
- You will be motivated by an Enterprise performance framework focused on social impact.
- Before you start to complete our online application form, you should do the following:
- Confirm you meet these minimum requirements:
- Live in Nigeria or Senegal.
- Successful delivery of previous projects in West Africa.
- Have the ability to travel throughout West Africa.
- Complete fluency in oral and written French and English.
Interested and qualiifed candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Prepare a CV’s in Word or PDF format. You will upload this in our online application form.
- In Word or PDF format, prepare an introductory letter that includes only the points below. You will upload this in our online application form.
- One paragraph explaining what you have learned is a necessary attitude or approach when delivering successful projects in West Africa. What experiences taught you this?
- One or two paragraphs describing the most successful project you managed. Why was it successful, how did you know and what would you do differently next time?