Widows and Orphans Empowerment Organisation (WEWE) is a registered and reputable national non-governmental organization that provides socio-economic empowerment to orphans, vulnerable children and widows in Nigeria. WEWE’s fiscal goal is to be one of the most financially compliant
and transparent Nigerian NGO with intrinsic financial integrity and sound/supportive administrative system. Our core Ideology is to prove to the world that not all Nigerian NGOs are ‘fantastically’ corrupt, we want to be an example to the world of a fully trustworthy local NGO that is financially clean and administratively thorough.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Internal Control And Audit
- WEWE is currently implementing a comprehensive USAID-funded Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) project called Local Partners Initiative for Orphans and Vulnerable Children in Nigeria (LOPIN-2).
- Widows and Orphans Empowerment Organisation (WEWE) is looking for a certified chartered accountant with over 7 years’ experience as an internal/external auditor or a compliance officer in a reputable audit firm to Head, Internal Control and Audit Team.
WEWE’s Core Fiscal Ideology
- “WEWE Financial System Is committed to a high level of financial Integrity, transparency and accountability.
- WEWE will strive to always stand out as being the most compliant to global accounting and reporting standards and to maintain strong internal control without compromise”.
- To contribute to changing the negative perception the world has about local Nigerian NGOs, to stand out as a clean NGO
- To ensure that WEWE’s financial system is committed to a high level of financial integrity, transparency and accountability. WEWE will strive to always stand out as being the most compliant to global accounting and reporting standards and to maintain strong internal control without compromise”.
- To ensure that WEWE’s financial team will continue to improve and beat yesterday, to push the standards and to ensure our financial systems are doing better tomorrow than we are doing today.
- Location: The position will be based in Abuja with frequent travels to WEWE State offices in Anambra, Akwa Ibom, Imo and Rivers State to conduct audit clinics/internal audits and document verification assignments.
- The Head, Internal Control and Audit Team is responsible for ensuring that WEWE financial processes are compliant with International finance and administration regulations and rules.
- H/she must be someone who is naturally gifted, outstanding, and talented and has hands on experience with daily internal auditing and/or financial and administrative compliance monitoring.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- The Internal Auditor will be WEWE’s Head Internal Control and Audit to contribute to the improvement of WEWE control processes, risk management and governance.
- Carry out pre and post review of all financial expenditures.
- The Internal Auditor shall review sub implementing agencies monthly certified expenditure reports.
- Carry out internal control self-assessment on implementing agencies.
- Ensure compliance with USAID cost principles.
- Ensure full compliance with USAID financial rules and regulations other than cost principles.
- Ensure strict adherence with WEWE internal policies, procedures and practices.
- Secure adherence to Nigerian rules and regulations as it relates to WEWE LOPIN 2 operational activities.
- Perform monthly review and evaluation of financial records/reports and bank reconciliation statement.
- Ensure WEWE or WEWE LOPIN 2’s assets are safeguarded.
- Ensure that inventory record is up-to-date, complete, and accurate (including all key data required by the USAID in 22 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) 226.
- Assist the organization in carrying out risk identification and timely report to the appropriate authority with improvement recommendations.
- Timely investigate all cases of fraudulent practices and missing assets.
- Ensure withholding tax is remitted within 21 days of deduction by the organization.
- Ensure PAYE tax is remitted to the relevant tax authority within 10 days in every new month by the organization.
- Ensure monthly remittance of staff pension benefit to the relevant pension managers by the Organisation.
- A Graduate of Accounting with a minimum of 2nd class upper Division or upper credit
- Must be a Chartered Accountant ICAN or ACCA.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in internal/external auditing or compliance experience in a multinational Organisation or non for profit Organisation.
- Strong background in accounting, internal control and compliance.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. (A friendly auditor)
An individual with the following is preferred:
- Is an upcoming mid to senior level certified accountant, naturally gifted, talented and highly skilled yet humble, God fearing and VERY HARDWORKING
- Ranks top in the field of accounting and internal auditing and who has significant prize winning achievements, one who has won merit awards, one who has been awarded the best employee of the year in their current or previous organization and has significantly contributed to their organization’s compliance status with documented evidence to prove this.
- Has an eagle eye for catching incomplete and non-compliant issues within an organization’s finance and administrative processes and procedures
- Willing to travel frequently and make local runs for financial verification assignments within all WEWE LOPIN implementing states; Anambra, Imo, Rivers and Akwa-Ibom .
- Applicants are advised to provide their functional emails/mobile phone numbers on the application letter as well as three professional referees. Candidates must provide functional email addresses and telephone numbers of referees.
- WEWE’s recruitment process for these positions will be on a rolling basis and while we thank all applicants for showing interest, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
- Applications will be reviewed in batches on a first come first served basis. WEWE reserve the right to conclude this recruitment process when a suitable candidate is selected.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their cover letters and CV’s in only one attachment (MS Word document) explaining suitability for the job to: email@example.com Please indicate the title of position applied for in the subject line of the email.