The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: M&E Officer-PRoL
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Reporting to: M&E Manager with dotted line relationship with Protection Manager
- The purpose of the M&E Officer position is to coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation and analysis of data to track programs/ projects activities, monitor progress and support impact measurement.
- S/he will supervise, coach, and mentor the Protection Assistant M&E Officer/s.
- S/he will ensure the existence of accountability mechanisms and devise a strategy for program staff participation in M&E activities. The position holder will closely work with front line staff and volunteers.
- S/he will also conduct development research, engage in reflective practice and generate lessons from projects/program and prepare M&E plans for the sector or Protection.
- S/he is responsible for establishing and ensuring better data management systems for the core program s/he assigned for and coordinates the proper and timely evaluation of project objectives/impact.
- S/he also will work closely with the M&E unit on technical matters and reports to the M&E Manager and will have dotted line relation with the Protection managers.
Program/Project Design and Learning (—-% of time) :
- Participate in program/ project design specially in developing logframes;
- Design, develop and continuously update PROL project M&E, and impact measurement tools and systems on timely fashion;
- Develop and make sure all the PROL projects in the sub-sector has tested monitoring tools that capture both program activity and indicators progresses;
- Take part in diagnostic studies, evaluations and surveys;
- Organize periodical ongoing sector level review, reflective practice, evaluation and progress monitoring events by involving communities and local partners;
- Organize panel monitoring and/or similar M&E events to ensure accountability to the target community, with relevant stakeholders including communities and ensure their dissemination to concerned parties;
- With support from the M&E Manager and M&E Coordinator, establish and maintain project level information management system;
- Design a strategy to collect PROL field level information required by IRC, donors and/or stakeholders;
- Proactively ensure networking and sharing of lessons from the core program with strategic partners and other stakeholders including government;
- Ensure that learning from previous projects is incorporated into project design where applicable;
- Coordinate synergy and cross-learning among different projects and programs;
- Cross fertilize learning among projects by regularly producing (compiling) summary monitoring reports and sharing to staff and partners.
Monitoring and Evaluation (— % of time):
- Track PROL progress against monitoring work plans;
- Coordinate the field level community participatory monitoring and evaluation, reflective practice and impact measurement;
- Ensure the on time execution of projects major monitoring and evaluation events including but not limited to baseline survey, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation, data quality audit and field supervision;
- Provide monthly PROL data analysis showing target against progress over time
- Conduct regular data verification exercises to ensure reporting and collection of quality data;
- Verify entered data for completeness, correctness, and consistency and follow up on any data quality issues;
- Document findings from PROL data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access;
- Actively participate in and contribute to PROL M&E team activities, system assessments, development and implementation of new systems and/or tools aimed at strengthening overall M&E practices at IRC Nigeria;
- Provide technical assistance to staff and partner organization on information management system, proper data collection and record keeping;
- Provide consistent, supportive supervision to strengthen staff performance as necessary to meet monitoring objectives;
- Update M&E plan timely and provide feedback to program staff on status and quality of implementation.
- Assist with PROL monthly and/or quarterly performance indicator analysis, including generation of reports as well as presentations for staff related to on-going performance;
- Closely work with PROL staff to ensure they follow correct procedures and criteria during beneficiary registration;
- Take part in the recruitment of enumerators and survey consultants;
- Provide M&E inputs for reports written during project implementation;
- Periodically leads reflective practice forums at field office/ project level and compile lessons from project implementation processes.
Information Management and Reporting (—% of time):
- Establish and maintain project information management system;
- Submit data set to update country office wide program database on monthly basis;
- Compile regular project monitoring report, including lessons learned, prepared by different projects and application of evaluation recommendations;
- Ensure all projects have downward/ forward accountability mechanisms and works with project staff to make sure its implementation;
- Compile quarter, biannual and annual tabular and narrative reports (as required by project stakeholders) on projects’ accomplishments by cost and alert the management for special deviations form the plan.
Capacity Building and Supervision (—% of time):
- Assist local partners and PAGS in designing monitoring and reporting tools and establishing database management systems.
- Organize orientation for front line staff, partners’ staff and volunteers on the monitoring tools and train them how to use data for decision making;
- Let the front line staff and volunteers understand IRC’s program principles and the bigger picture, in general;
- Coach, mentor and supervise Assistant M&E Officer/s,
- Assist her/his subordinate/s in completing performance management activities including: performance planning, monitoring, and annual performance appraisals;
Perform Other Duties Assigned by the Supervisor (—-% of time):
- Perform other task related assignment proposed by his/her supervisor/s
Skills and Experience
- Degree/ 1-2 years diploma in statistics, computer science/IT/or any sector or sub-sector related field;
- Excellent computer skills are required (particularly Microsoft Excel, Access and Word);
- At least two year experience working in monitoring and evaluation preferred;
- Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required;
- Familiarity with logframe analysis and M&E plan;
- Experience in conducting assessment;
- Desirable – Working with highly vulnerable and displaced people would be added advantage;
- Good verbal communication skills in local languages and working knowledge of English;
- Most importantly, commitment to IRC values and principles;
- Ability to work independently, think analytically and take initiative in solving problems;
- Ability to communicate technical issues effectively;
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with groups of diverse backgrounds.
- Security level orange. The situation in Adamawa- Mubi is calm at the moment but remains tense and unpredictable; concerns include criminality. There is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover letter and Resume in one MS word with the position they are applying for clearly stated in the email subject line to: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org
Hand Delivered to: The Human Resource Office, International Rescue Committee Offices in Abuja, Yola, Maiduguri and Mubi.
Application Deadline: 18th May, 2017.