African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Succession and Career Planning Coordinator
Position N°: 50000451
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department
- The role of the Human Resources Management Department is to develop and execute a People Strategy, Policies, processes and practices which will enable the Bank to achieve its strategic Agenda. Core to the HR Strategy will be the attraction, development, engagement, motivation and retention of a best-in-class workforce.
- In order to create a truly transformed HR work-way, the Human Resources Management department is structured around a triangular Model: Business Partnerships for strategy, client contracting and HR delivery, Centers of Expertise/Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for internal consulting, thought leadership, design, talent and staff development and training and best practice benchmarking, HR Shared Services for transactional excellence and employees outreach. This new HR Model will deliver a world-class employee life-cycle experience.
- The Staff Development and Training Division embeds a strategic approach to human resource development and management that results in more effective talent and performance management including strategic sourcing and career development and mobility, Leadership Development, compensation and reward and policy and compliance
- Reporting to the Talent Management and Mobility Officer, the Succession and Career Planning Coordinator contributes to the management of the Talent Management & Mobility policy and programs in alignment to the business objectives of the Bank.
- S/he specifically coordinates review meetings, reports and dashboards relating to succession and career planning processes and programs in the Bank.
- S/he will contributes to the design and implementation of tools and activities to support the Bank’s assessment of talent based on statistics on the ‘build’ ‘buy’ or ‘borrow’ corporate metrics
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Talent Management and Mobility Officer, the incumbent will undertake the following:
- Support on communications and advice on succession planning and career management issues in the Bank.
- Implement and support agreed milestones and objectives or initiatives on a bank-wide level; including coordinating coordination of Talent Review Council timetables across the Bank.
- Liaise with the Leadership and Employee Development, Recruitment, Performance Management, Total Rewards and Recognition units to implement a range of creative solutions that support the business priorities.
- Advise on and participate in the design of strategies for career management including career paths in order to better define the most suitable job progression specific roles, taking into full account the career aspirations of the individual and the needs of the Bank.
- Assist HRBPs and line management with information and policy guidance to assist staff, counseling and guidance on career progression.
- Support the review and update the Bank Competency Framework as a guide for integrated HR process especially in recruitment, training and career development.
- Maintain, review and update the Human Resources Information Management database of staff skills (individual profile) in the Enterprise Resource Planning System (SAP) for the purposes of training and career development – this will involve the detailed analysis of individual staff skills and competency profiles so that training and career development can be better aligned to meet the Bank’s staffing needs now and in the future.
- Prepare and contribute to overall work planning and budgets; ensuring effective monitoring and reporting on utilization.
- Utilize inputs from the Bank’s Talent programmes e.g. the Young Professionals Program (YPP) in maintaining relevant forecasts, status reports and management decisions relating to succession planning and career management.
- Support the HR Business Partners to manage mobility programs across business functions to ensure effective placement of expertise where it is needed at the right time.
- Contribute to strategic projects with other members of the HR team particularly where these impact Talent, Learning and Organisation Development’s processes and systems, for example, the Young Professionals Program, internships, etc.
- Provide bank-wide guidance, tool-kits and templates or forms for succession planning and career management.
- Support execution and monitoring of the bank-wide succession planning processes and programs; including monitoring of Talent Review Council meetings and tracking of bank-wide succession pipelines.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s Degree or BAC+4 or Maitrise or its equivalent in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or other related disciplines.
- A certification or training in learning design and implementation will be an added advantage.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage
- Have a minimum of Six (6) years of relevant practical working experience in progressive positions, preferably in an international organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in French or English, preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard MS Office Suite applications. Advanced IT skills with the ability to design graphics, web pages and update information on the Intranet is a requirement. Knowledge of Taleo, SAP HR would be an added advantage.
- Ability to communicate effectively, build partnerships and influence at all levels of the organization, including senior management, by providing appropriate and tailored information in a timely manner.
- Ability to grasp and quickly learn internal systems with flexibility and adaptability to changing circumstances and the creativity in delivering solutions to business issues and problems.
- Ability to deal with multiple tasks simultaneously and to identify and manage interdependencies.
- Strong interpersonal and excellent written and verbal communication skills in order to deal with all levels of the client organization in a diverse, international institution structure.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership.
- Ability to work well with others, and obtain collaboration of internal and external partners and contacts.
- Demonstrated leadership, end-to-end ownership, ability to manage in a matrix type organization.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to think strategically.
- Practical experience in succession planning and career management processes is desirable.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment, and to complete tasks independently with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of training and staff development delivery mechanisms.
- Ability to effectively manage training logistics.
- Ability to build effective working relations with colleagues.
- Ability to work under supervision as well as part of a multicultural team.
- Good knowledge of budgeting and planning are an asset.
- A high sense of initiative, enthusiasm and good team spirit, good organizational and interpersonal skills are strongly desired.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 15th June, 2017.