ECOWAS Job in Abuja, Nigeria for a Program Officer
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional grouping with 15 Member States in West Africa (three landlocked and one island) with a population of about 300million and an annual economic growth rate of around 6%. The ECOWAS Commission is one of the eight Regional Economic Communities supporting the African Union to coordinate the implementation of continental and regional integration and development programmes in the West African region.
We are currently seeking to employ suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Program Officer, Cross Border Cooperation
Job Ref # ECW/CHR/MR/3105/2017
Supervisor: PPO Free Movement & Tourism
Grade Level: P3
Department: Trade, Customs and Free Movement & Tourism
Directorate: Free Movement &Tourism
- Under the supervision of the Head of the Programme& Project, the incumbent is responsible for the surveillance of the border.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Providing support to cross-border cooperation pilot projects implemented under the auspices of ECOWAS in favor of stability and development, and analyzing the impact of cross-border cooperation on free movement, the right of establishment and migration.
- Establishing a Community cross-border cooperation financing fund.
- Discussing and initiating a vast medium- and long-term land use planning program.
- Ensuring compliance with bilateral agreements on inter-State land boundary demarcation.
- Initiating campaigns to raise the awareness of populations straddling borders, of the need for peaceful cohabitation.
- Monitoring ECOWAS Member States’ boundary delineation/demarcation processes.
- Identifying sources of border problems.Preparing a directory of land borders.Building national authorities’ and local communities’ border management capacities.
- Initiating concrete regional community cooperation projects.
- Developing good neighborliness relations between ECOWAS Member States and between ECOWAS and its neighbors.
- Identifying border areas that can serve as bases for cross-border cooperation.
- Initiating regional and multilateral development projects in collaboration with the other technical directorates of the Commission and those of Member States.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, Business Administration or related field;
- A minimum of five (5)years of experience. A higher degree will reduce the number of years experience by two (2) years.
- Experience with a regional , governmental, non-governmental or international organisation is desirable.
- The candidate must be fluent in one of the official languages of ECOWAS namely, English,French and Portuguese. Working knowledge of another language will be an advantage.