The West Africa Reproductive Health Initiative (WARHI) works in the area of sexual and reproductive health for general population, Key Populations (KPs) and gender based violence and women economic empowerment and rights programs. WARHI works collaboratively with various institutions including governments, the public sector, national health research and extension systems, universities, International Research Systems and other stakeholders to implement research and training programs to empower women and young people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance and Administration Officer
- Under the supervision of the Country Director, the Finance and Administration Officer will lead, manage, coordinate and implement all matters pertaining to Finance & Administration (F&A) functions as required by the WARHI policies, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and other applicable governing regulations; including providing technical support and applying innovative F&A methods to ensure effective and efficient WARHI F&A operations.
The Finance and Administration Officer (FAO) will be expected to:
- Take responsibility for all accounting and financial procedures and records of the WARHI office including but not limited to:
- Ensuring adherence to WARHI SOPs for finance-related matters including but not limited to cost-effective procurement processes;
- Managing cash disbursements, cash receipts, accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivables summaries and journal entries for adjustments to ledger sheets;
- Responsible for payroll calculations or reconciliations and paying taxes as required by the government and generation and submission of required reports;
- Ensuring financial statements are accurate and up-to-date, and prepared in accordance with accounting standards and office’s policy and procedures;
- Ensuring all transactions are booked properly and in a timely manner. The deadlines for monthly reporting to WARHI HQ are met. Any changes and/or delays are communicated properly and timely;
- Ensuring timely preparation of audit financial schedules making sure the balances are reconciled and variances explained;
- Preparing monthly cash flow projection, make sure funds are timely and adequately requested from the WARHI HQ office.
- Create and apply fiscal controls and procedures within the WARHI F&A unit, in consultation with the Country Director;
- Develop and monitor WARHI budgets according to donor and WARHI HQ F&A standards;
- Work collaboratively with the Country Director to conduct periodic audits, budget analysis and comparisons to actual expenses as appropriate;
- Liaise with WARHI HQ on all matters relating to F&A including the periodic financial reports and all other reports as per SOPs and; maintain communication between the WARHI HQ Finance Department and WARHI to ensure maintenance of fiscal standards appropriate for WARHI Global Programs;
- Manage travel, IT and telecommunications functions, ensuring that they are sufficiently and cost effectively deployed;
- Liaise with external auditors and ensure the statutory corporate requirements as laid out by local governing rules and regulations are carried out;
- Coordinate and actively participate in orientation and in-service training for personnel;
- Participate in strategic planning for the organization, and in creation of annual work plans at the beginning of each project/ program year;
- Assist the Country Director in reviewing and revising policies and procedures that enhances WARHI programs;
- Ensure that all levels of risk that WARHI may be exposed to are identified and measures put in place;
- Manage WARHI grants, sub-awards and contracts to ensure that the processes are executed properly in accordance with the respective policy and procedures;
- Ensure the effective and smooth administrative operations of WARHI national office, including day-to-day human resources (HR) administration;
- Assures strict adherence to donor and VAT reporting requirements;
- Carry out other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Country Director.
- Excellent business-oriented oral and written communication skills.
- Good command of the English language.
- Exceptional ability to work independently.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects while working as part of a team.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to work within budgetary constraints typical in a medium NGO.
- Proven administrative and management skills.
- Strong organizational, electronic file management and computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and financial database.
- Thorough understanding of relevant laws and regulations necessary to operationalize program plans and budgets (e.g. policies on labor law, purchasing, taxation, documentation and reporting, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Work in a highly technical and lean team;
- Write clear and accurate reports;
- Effectively work in collaboration with multiple stakeholders or partners;
- Effectively communicate long-distance via telephone, Skype, or other appropriate technology.
- Effectively work with organizational leadership on strategic, operational, and organizational issues;
- Communicate effectively with partners, staff, and colleagues with a high level of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality;
- Monitor and document observed activities;
- Diploma/Degree in Finance, Accounting and Business Administration.
- One or more years of finance, accounting and business administration experience in international non-for-profit organizations funded by international donors/source of funding.
- Practical knowledge of donor grants and cooperative agreement rules and regulations, and compliance requirements.
- Proven contracts, grants and cooperative agreement management experience.
- Demonstrated familiarity with the local health care structure and system.
- Past experience of managing and coordinating day-to-day business operations.
- Proven project management experience – working in an organization with several significant projects and multiple tasks.
Physical Effort and Dexterity:
- Position requires mobility and ability to travel independently.
- Visual Acuity, Hearing, and Speaking
- Position requires the ability to communicate effectively both in person and via telephone and/or non-visual internet connection.
Environment and Scheduling:
- Interest in working with an NGO women public health organization.
- Interest in working within a diverse work environment.
- Willingness to travel throughout Africa, as required.
Special Working Conditions
- Position requires legal residence and right-to-work in the country. WARHI will provide relocation and/or housing assistance for individual selected for position.
- This position posting does not list all the duties of the job.
- The employer has the right to revise this posting and/or the job description at any time.
- Neither this posting nor the job description is a contract for employment.
- If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description.
- Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, and their education and work experience.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resumes or CV’s and Cover letter (with salary requirements (USD)) to: careers@WARHI.org Subject line should read “Finance and Administration Officer” only.
- Candidates who do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
- Due to the extremely high volume of resumes, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
- NO PHONE CALLS in reference to this position will be accepted.
Application Deadline 31st July, 2017.