Program Officer (ECPN) Vacancy at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below
Job Title: Program Officer (ECPN)
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps works in fragile and conflict-affected environments. While we recognize that these are difficult places to operate, we believe that transitional environments – countries affected by civil wars, economic and political crisis, or natural disasters – offer tremendous opportunities for positive change.
- Since the late 1990s, Mercy Corps has managed over 100 peacebuilding projects in over 30 countries and regions, making Mercy Corps a true leader in the field. We currently implement 34 peacebuilding programs globally. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps is currently implementing several conflict management programs, focused on reducing violent conflict between farmer and pastoralist communities, increasing peace between religious groups, and preventing youth participation in extremist groups .
- Within the Conflict Management Programs portfolio Mercy Corps implementeda UKAID-funded program called “Conciliation in Nigeria through Community-Based Conflict Management and Cooperative Use of Resources (CONCUR)”; the Ford Foundation-funded “Future of Youth in Northern Nigeria” project; the GHR Foundation-funded “Inter-Religious Peacebuilding in Northern Nigerian (IPNN”) project; and is currently implementing the USAID-funded “Engaging Communities for Peace in Nigeria (ECPN)” project; the UKAID-funded “North East Nigeria Conflict Management and Stabilization” project; and the GHR- funded “Supporting Harmonious Association, Religious Participation and Engagement for Northern Nigeria (TARE, which stands for “together” in Hausa)” project..
General Position Summary
- The Conflict Management Programs Officer will support the implementation of activities related to capacity building for traditional and religious leaders, state and local government authorities in negotiation and dispute resolution; facilitation and implementation of quick impact projects; monitoring the interaction of project beneficiaries around joint natural resource management projects; facilitation of community meetings, and other activities as needed.
- The Conflict Management Programs Officer will also provide support to all other activities related to conflict management programs and will ensure smooth, timely, and compliant implementation.
- The Conflict Management Programs Officer will liaise frequently with implementing partners, community members, local leaders, and government officials, and represent Mercy Corps at relevant meetings.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Operations and Finance Support:
- Maintain procurement, financial, and administrative systems to support the implementation of MCN conflict management programs.
- Liaise with operations and finance departments to resolve any issues that hamper the timely implementation of the programs.
- Support technical aspects of conflict management and programs by assisting with the development of activities/agendas related to peacebuilding and CVE programs.
- Provide regular reports on activities and challenges.
- In collaboration with M&E staff, implement relevant surveys, needs assessments, and other data collection activities for on-going monitoring and learning.
- Provide support to meetings, events, and trainings as required, including logistical arrangements.
- Liaise with conflict management programs partner organizations and potential resource persons as needed.
- Coordinate closely with other Mercy Corps conflict management staff to ensure all objectives of the projects and specific activities are met.
- Leverage Mercy Corps’ relationships to identify Nigerian partners – government institutions, NGOs, etc.– to participate in ECPN, TARE and NE CMS activities, and help to build these relationships.
- Provide backstopping support for partner activities as agreed with the partner.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Provide support in the maintaining MCN conflict management M&E systems, database, & deployment of baseline/end line surveys.
- Support documentation of lessons learned and coordinate learning activities across all MCN conflict management programs.
Knowledge and Experience
- Fluency in Hausa and English, both written and spoken, including report development
- BA/BSc or equivalent in Conflict Management, Social Sciences, International Development or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in the non-profit sector in conflict management/peacebuilding or community development.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in working with financial, administrative and procurement systems.
- Demonstrated experience setting up administrative, financial, and/or procurement systems.
- Experience working in rural areas in Nigeria, particularly in the Middle Belt and Northeast.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills in the local cultural environment.
- Experience working in a multi-organizational team (international and national partners) is a plus.
- Experience working with country- and state-level ministries and government officials.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Familiarity with community-based peacebuilding initiatives, good personality and reputation, dynamic, committed, and dedicated to the work.
- The successful Conflict Management Programs Officer will combine exceptional management, communication, and relationship-building skills, with an ability to strategically develop systems, which support successful implementation of programs.
- S/he will have an outstanding ability to supportively and diplomatically engage with partners. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and attention to detail are essential.
How to Apply
Interested and qualifed candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Application Deadline: 21st July, 2017.