Vacancies at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Senior Program Engineer Officer
Location: Biu, Borno
Reports to: the program manager.
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps, an international humanitarian NGO and has been operating in Nigeria since 2012 is looking for the WASH engineer.
- Water, Sanitation & Hygiene project focusing on key issues, which have demanded immediate attention within the water and sanitation sector and will support the improvement of Water points and Sanitation conditions, rehab and build new latrine, familiar with water network designing, and rehabilitation, rehabilitation of boreholes or drilling new one and rehab and build new septic tank in communal community and camp.
General Position Summary
He / She will be responsible for the following duties:
- Perform all tasks related to water supply and sanitation facilities construction and rehabilitation, build new latrine, rehab or drilling new borehole with hand pump installation, set-up water points, and secure the water point.
- Supervise the installment, maintenance, service and repair of water supply systems, water storage facilities, sewerage network, pumps, and other allied equipment;
- Periodically inspect ongoing projects and report to the PM on progress, timelines and any setbacks or alterations that may occur;
- Good planning for water distribution in the targeted area;
- Ensure that the water supply and sanitation facilities construction and rehabilitation meet the safety standards;
- Inspect engineering works carried out by civilian contractors and ensure all stages are completed satisfactorily prior to payment.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist and monitor the quality of the construction and implementation of appropriate water and sanitation facilities in the target area.
- Contribute to the assessment and development of appropriate technologies for the water
- And sanitation program of Mercy Corps in targeted area.
- Work with the PM to improve the technologies already in use as well as their implementation process.
- Be able to design latrine, borehole, and septic tank or (pit latrine), prepare BoQ, and Scope of Work, familiar with tender invitation, tender document, contract, service contract.
- Perform all tasks related to water point and sanitation facilities construction and rehabilitation in the targeted area
- Prepare and analyze the reports related to the performance of water equipment in the field including main supply, storage tanks and distribution networks in targeted area.
- Monitoring visits to the field to ensure the proper function and use of provided WASH facilities
- Monitor and ensure the quality of job of skilled and unskilled labors.
- Assist in preparation of scope of works for water and waste water systems by providing field based input.
- Periodically inspect ongoing projects and report to the PM on progress, timelines and any setbacks or alterations that may occur.
- Work with field staff and partners to train them in water technologies and techniques, proper usage of WASH facilities.
- Assist in preparation of technical evaluations.
- Provide guidance and practical hands-on training to staff working under his/her supervision
- Communicate with water partners to share experience and learn about alternative Technologies and Techniques.
- Responsible for the daily implementation of water sanitation activities and progress at assigned work sites;
- Develop action plans for project implementation – including all technical specifications for project implementation. In collaboration with the Program Manager;
- Develop and maintain good lines of communication and relationships with local authorities and the local community.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of project implementation, ensure they are completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner according to standard engineering methods.
- Ensure a safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation.
- Is responsible for maintaining detailed work plans and written records of engineering work undertaken in the project.
- Follow all MC protocols and regulations according to guidance provided by the direct supervisor.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Provide water point maintenance training for communities and usage of communal latrines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Engineering, Water engineering, Civil engineering or related degree
- Thorough knowledge of water supply and sanitation facilities construction and rehabilitation.
- Self-starter, flexible, resilient and a sense of humor
- Experience working with water and/or sanitation projects is an essential.
- Maintain effective communications with the local authorities and local community.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of daily project implementation.
- Ensure regular filed monitoring visits of targeted area and provide on job support & monitoring of selected contractors.
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage effective working relationships in multi-cultural environment
- Pro-active and able to work independently to complete project tasks
- Attention to detail and ability to follow through on task assignments
- Explore alternative technologies that promote water conservation
- Build the capacity of the community to manage limited water resources.
- Good English written and spoken.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Engineering. Water engineering, Civil engineering or related degree
- Minimum of five years professional experience in implementing emergency response programs in a humanitarian setting, particularly in the WASH sector;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Ability to engage with local communities in rural areas.
- Physically able to spend the long periods of time in the field.
- Ability to think independently and problem solve.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Honest, hardworking and committed to community development.
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
- Knowledge on WASH promotion, and ability to develop training on the topic.
- Previous humanitarian experience. At least 2 years of experience in water supply and sanitation facilities construction and rehabilitation. Experience with standard techniques and practices for maintenance of various types of water and sanitation facilities required.
- Familiar with sphere standard
- All WASH activities in targeted area
- Reports Directly to: Program Manager
- Complete routine progress reports and submit reports as required by supervisor;
- Provide weekly progress reports on implementation to supervisor;
- Assist MC management with any requests for information or data regarding program expansion or development.
Works Directly with:
- WASH team, Operation, Logistics and Finance
- Cooperate and coordinate with all project staff to ensure good internal coordination and subsequent high quality project selection, implementation and management.
- Coordinate with MC staff of non-engineering projects that may be present in the assigned locations.
- The successful candidate will be able carry on the vision of the engineering department; provide leadership and motivation; be a team player; be able to train and capacity-build staff; ensure that projects are planned appropriately and delivered to a high quality.
Job Title: Field Enumerator (Baseline Survey)
Locations: Kaduna and Plateau
Reports Directly To: TARE project team while working closing with Mercy Corps M&E team.
- Mercy Corps through funding from the Gerald A. and Henrietta Rauenhorst (GHR) Foundation will implement TARE (which stands for “together” in Hausa) an inter-religious peacebuilding program. TARE aims to reduce participation in violence in Northern Nigeria through engagement of religious actors in interfaith and policy dialogues.
- Mercy Corps in Kaduna and Plateau States, will work to strengthen collaboration between community religious leaders and institutions to promote interfaith dialogues and learning exchanges, resolve resource-based conflicts that fall along identity lines, and support linkages to formal governance processes at the state and local level.
- By evaluating and comparing the impact of each of the two approaches, the research generated during the TARE program will be used to inform future inter-religious peacebuilding programs in Northern Nigeria.
- The purpose of the data collection is to provide baseline value and target setting against which the TARE project can monitor and assess its progress and effectiveness during implementation and after the activity is completed.
- The successful individuals will work closely with the TARE project team to mobilize community respondents, conduct personalized interviews and collect site-specific data within identified local communities in Jos North LGA in Plateau state and Jema’a, LGA in Kaduna state.
Scope of Work/Responsibilities
The field enumerators will:
- Get familiar with data collection tools and study protocol
- Attend study orientation and data collection training
- Conduct TARE baseline data collection in selected communities in Jema’a LGA Kaduna state and Jos North Plateau state.
- Orient and guide the MC project team on likely sensitivities that could affect the usage of the survey tools within the target communities
- Conduct focus group discussions (FGDs) and Key informant interviews (KII) with selected stakeholders in the selected communities
- Work collaboratively with TARE project and MC M&E team to ensure successful implementation of the baseline study
- Review filled data collection tools to ensure completion and quality of data
- Provide guidance and clarifications at data analysis stage regarding collected data as needed
- Play a key role in the mobilization of community respondents for the survey.
Qualifications and Personal Attributes
- Qualifications in the fields of the Social Sciences, Economics, Development Studies or Statistics.
- A sound track record in developing and conducting research
- Proven skills in the use of mobile device for data collection
- Experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative research.
- Experience working in the selected communities in Jos North and Jema’a LGAs and have a good understanding of the local dialects is preferred.
- Experience in data collection and analysis using participatory methodology.
- Possess a degree of flexibility to work and availability to respond to comments and questions in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Strong command over English and Hausa, especially ability to write high quality, clear and concise reports.
- Only candidates residing in Plateau and Kaduna states are eligible to apply.
- Candidates who reside or are familiar with the local communities in the targeted LGAs are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Applications Deadline: 31st July, 2017.