Senior Flaships Programme Coordinator at African Development Bank-Lagos
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Flagships Programme Coordinator
Position N°: 50091921
- The Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human, and Social Development is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department
- The Human and Social Development Department spearheads the Bank wide Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy implementation coordination as well as the achievement of the High 5s on “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa” and contributes to the other High 5s. The Department supports scaling-up of Bank’s support to strengthening Jobs for Youth Flagship coordination, education, skills, employment, health systems and nutrition, for industrialization and economic transformation.
- The Department leads the Bank’s support to Africa’s economic transformation by: (i) developing and promoting the adoption of relevant policies and strategies; (ii) providing deep multi-sector expertise to the regional hubs by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide technical advice on complex transactions (Communities of Practice); (iii) developing new financing instruments; and, (iv) fostering strategic partnerships to leverage resources into the human and social development sectors.
- The African Development Bank adopted in May 2016, the “Jobs for Youth in Africa” Strategy for the period of 2016 – 2025. This Strategy responds to the priorities in Bank’s Ten Year Strategy and the New Corporate Priorities (High-5).
- Creating productive jobs for the youth would improve their living conditions and enhance their engagement in Africa’s growth and economic transformation. The Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy was launched during the Bank’s annual meetings in May, 2016, in Lusaka to commence its operationalization.
- The Programme Coordinator will be part of the team responsible of the day to day management of the implementation of the Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Director in charge of the implementation of the Jobs strategy, the Program coordinator shall carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Contribute to the preparation and the monitoring of the Annual & Multi Annual Work Programme of the Jobs for Youth in Africa strategy implementation in order to optimize the resource utilization.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Jobs for Youth in Africa strategy implementation Key Performance Indicators, ensure their consistency with Complex level Key Performance Indicators and prepare regular status reports and annual activity reports.
- Keep the portfolio database of the Jobs for Youth in Africa strategy implementation (active and pipeline projects).
- Coordinate responses to enquiries concerning the Jobs for Youth in Africa strategy implementation.
- Coordinate the preparation and monitoring of the quarterly mission schedules and collate related data for reports.
- Ensure a close follow up of the Jobs for Youth in Africa strategy implementation activities and regularly update work programmes.
- Represent the Jobs for Youth in Africa Team in some of the coordination meetings with other departments of the Bank.
- Liaise with the Corporate Information Technology Services Department, if necessary, for all issues relating to the SAP system and other information technologies; play the role of SAP resource person in the department; provide training to relevant staff in the use of SAP-PS.
- Keep up to date information for exchange with partnership agencies and institutions such as bilateral donors (Department for International Development, African Development Fund, etc.) and multilateral donors (World Bank, International Monetary Fund, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, European Union, etc.).
- Disseminate information and liaise with the Communications and External Relations Department and external communication parties as well as manage the website’s content and ensure circulation of a quarterly newsletter.
- Contribute to the quarterly work program and budget reports.
- Liaise regularly with other key Departments of the Bank, including front office, budget department, resources mobilization, etc.
- Liaise and network closely with the Bank’s Youth Employment Task Team in planning, reviewing, managing and supporting the implementation at all levels.
- Support field staff in delivering, reviewing and assessing effectiveness and efficiency of operation under the Jobs for Youth in Africa umbrella.
- Manage M&E data collection, compilation, analysis and reporting to track the number of direct, indirect and induced jobs created and the number of youth reached from the Bank’s operations every year.
- Support the design, preparation, implementation and evaluation of the Bank’s projects with a youth employment component as requested.
- Carry out other technical tasks and coordination as required by the Jobs for Youth in Africa coordinator or the Director of the Department.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Economics, Social sciences, Finance, Statistics, or other relevant field.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of experience working in managing/coordinating portfolio and programs.
- Demonstrated experience in portfolio monitoring, reporting and providing proactive solutions for improving performance.
- Good working knowledge of operations, particularly the information required for project cycle activities and portfolio management, planning, work programmes, budget preparation and financial management.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, coordination and communication/writing skills.
- Ability to work accurately, methodically and to meet deadlines.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Integrity and ability to work under pressure and to deliver timely quality services.
- Good professional experience and knowledge of the Bank’s operations.
- Ability to assess problems and develop realistic solutions quickly, proven ability to adopt a multidisciplinary approach to issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French with a working knowledge of the other.
- Knowledge and Experience in using SAP is an advantage.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint, SAP and/or other integrated document management system).
Application Closing Date
29th September, 2017.