Technical Officer – TB/HIV Services at AiDS Prevention Initiative in Nigeria
APIN Public Health Initiatives is a non-governmental donor-funded organization dedicated to the prevention, treatment, care and support of diseases of public health importance in Nigeria, including HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, among others.
APIN Public Health Initiatives has been awarded a 5 year Grant by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to implement “Improving Comprehensive AIDS Response Enhanced for Sustainability” (iCARES) project, – a hybrid of facility and community based interventions, that will expand access to comprehensive HIV prevention, care and treatment services in 8 states of Benue, Ekiti, Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo and Plateau in Nigeria. The program, funded by US PEPFAR through CDC, aims to contribute to the UNAIDS 90-90-90 goal of HIV epidemic control in Nigeria.
We are seeking qualified and suitable candidates to assume the position below:
Job Title: Technical Officer – TB/HIV Services
Directorate: Laboratory Services
- The job holder will support the head of department to provide appropriate technical support and mentoring to TB Laboratories,
- Coordinate proficiency programs with Supranational Reference Laboratory Network and inter-laboratory comparisons.
- Participate in TB panels preparation and administration for basic and advanced tests
- Participate in review of sites’ TB External Quality Assessment (EQA) panel reports.
- Activation of TB GeneXpert sites and smear microscopy laboratories.
- Facilitate all TB trainings (Smear Microscopy, TB Culture (Solid and Liquid), Molecular TB Diagnosis (GeneXpert and Line Probe Assay), DST (1st and 2nd line), TB EQA, TB sample transport logistics and biosafety.
- Participate in setting up and coordinating a continuous quality improvement plan for the TB Laboratories.
- Provide appropriate technical support and mentoring to TB Reference Laboratories.
- Participate in onsite data validation exercises with state programs, GeneXpert sites, reference laboratories and DOTs centers.
- Coordinate TB laboratory Logistic Management.
- Liaise with the State TB and Leprosy Control Officers (STBLCOS), DR-TB Focal Persons to understand and ensure smooth running of lab component of PMDT in the States.
- Key into the state monthly/quarterly work plan for supportive supervision to patients in the community.
- Ensure that laboratory national data capturing (recording and reporting) tools are available, properly and completely filled.
- Track investigation results from responsible laboratories to ensure that they are sent back to the state TB program or treatment centers within the turnaround time.
- Liaise with other relevant Lab staff to oversee the follow up investigations for all DR TB patients in DR TB treatment centers, ambulatory Phase and community initiation (including baseline DST for patients) and patients in the continuation phase across the country.
- Activation of sites for GeneXpert, Fluorescent Microscopy and TB Culture/LPA.
- Review reports (site visits, monthly/quarterly narrative, data, mentoring and supervision, etc.) and follow up of challenges.
- Collate reports for appropriate and timely dissemination.
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree in Medical Laboratory Science (sub-specialty in Microbiology) registrable with MLSCN. A master’s degree in relevant sub-specialty would be an added advantage.
- Licensed Medical Laboratory Scientist. Minimum of 6 years’ working experience.
Application Closing Date
25th October, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org stating how their skills, knowledge and experience make them suitable, and addressing the person specifications highlighted above.
- The suitability statement should not exceed a page and must appear on the first page of the CV, which must be saved in Microsoft Word and as applicant’s full name.
- The subject of the mail should be the job position and location being applied for, e.g. Job Title – Location.
- Late applications will not be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.