Current Job Opening for Social Mobilization Officers at IMC
International Medical Corps (IMC) is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training, relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization.
International Medical Corps has been operating in Nigeria since November 2013. It currently has its country office in Abuja and field offices in Kano, Sokoto and Maiduguri where it is implementing emergency Water, Sanitation, Hygiene (WASH) and Protection programs, and also building capacity of local health systems and structures, ensuring the provision of quality, accessible Nutrition and Health Care.
International Medical Corps is therefore looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Social Mobilization Officer
- The Social Mobilization Officer will be responsible for designing, planning and providing technical guidance on social mobilisation activities in the polio eradication project in Kano State.
- He/She will work closely with the local implementing partners, social mobilization working groups both at the states and also CGPP secretariat, to ensure efficient and effective social mobilisation in the implementation of the PEI activities in the State.
- Support implementation of social and community mobilization activities in collaboration with the local implementing partners’ staff (LGACs, VWS, VCMs), state social mobilization working groups
- Support advocacy with religious and community leaders to create an enabling environment to improve awareness on the benefits of polio and routine immunization and promote uptake of these services during immunization plus days campaigns and at the health facilities.
- Organize meetings with religious, traditional and community leaders, village heads, community groups and other relevant community stakeholders to improve awareness on polio, routine immunization, AFP surveillance.
- Support training and supervision of Voluntary Community Mobilizers and other social and or community mobilization agents working under the polio project.
- Support the M&E Officers and State Project Managers to effectively collect, collate and report social and community mobilization data as required.
- Collaborate with State Project Managers and State M&E Officers to ensure documentation of all community mobilization activities.
- Prepare and submit timely and quality activity reports, including field notes and success stories, to effectively capture lessons learnt on the ground from the projects.
- Provide administrative support as needed.
- Carry out other tasks to support the polio project activities as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- First degree or its equivalent in social/ behavioural Sciences (Development Studies, Anthropology, Psychology, and Health Education) or any other relevant discipline of study
- Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Proven experience on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research.
- Minimum of Three (3) years “Hands On” work experience in advocacy, social and or community mobilization in polio projects or any health programs.
- Excellent communication, and organizational skills; – and- ability to influence and facilitate advocacy agendas at LGA and State level.
- Understanding of local communities and cultures in the relevant states of operations and ability to communicate fluently in Hausa.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to travel and work in difficult settings, including remote rural areas of Nigeria.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint, or similar software.
- Well-organized, with ability to track multiple activities and deadlines.
- Experience in providing administrative support to work teams.
- Ability to work successfully in cross-cultural, team-based environment.
Application Closing Date
27th October, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications to the “Human Resource Manager, International Medical Corps” via the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted
- Candidates MUST state the position that they are applying for as the subject of their email, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Application letter and Curriculum Vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document.
- For Nigerian Nationals only