Senior Gender Equality Advisor at Save the Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Gender Equality Advisor
- The Senior Gender Equality Advisor is responsible for supporting the integration of a strong gender equality perspective on the “Reaching and Empowering Adolescents to make Informed Choices for their Health” (REACH) project.
- This may include ensuring gender mainstreaming throughout the project’s results based management frameworks, strengthening and supporting gender equality strategies and facilitating gender equality capacity strengthening for field teams via training and tool development.
- The post holder also provides technical support to the REACH project on gender equality, both remotely and via travel to work with field teams. Additionally, as part of this role, the Senior Gender Equality Advisor will work closely with Save the Children Canada and all members of the project team.
- In addition, as the focal person for gender for the country office will support the Deputy Director Programme Quality and Development in promoting gender mainstreaming.
Key Areas of Accountability
As a member of the REACH Project team, the Senior Gender Equality Advisor will:
- Demonstrate behaviours that are consistent with Save the Children’s Mission, Vision and Values and ensure their broader application by staff across the programme.
- Contribute to a conducive and productive work environment in a way that promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide high quality technical assistance to REACH program delivery teams, building a solid evidence base to support the development implementation and evaluation of gender-transformative approaches
- Supports REACH program staff and partners, as well as the Country Office team, to strategically integrate gender equality through training and knowledge sharing activities.
- Supports integration and collection of appropriate gender equality indicators and collaborates to monitor and evaluate to ensure that gender equality outcomes and results are achieved and documented, including for a baseline gender analysis.
- In collaboration with project staff, develop and pilot social and behavior change communication approaches, materials and tools.
- Support REACH program teams to review project deliverables and donor reports from a technical quality control perspective
- Creates high quality narrative reports and documents that are complete and timely.
- Supports the development and roll out of gender sensitive program/project management tools and results-based frameworks.
- Supports the development and implementation of the Save the Children International Gender Equality Principles and the roll out of Save the Children’s Gender Equality Program Guidance and Toolkit.
- When requested, represents the country office at relevant conferences and workshops.
- Build gender equality networks; Liaises with other donors, program staff of other agencies and members of Save the Children International as appropriate
Qualifications and Experience
- A post graduate University degree in Social Sciences with academic training in women’s studies, gender and development or a relevant field.
- 5-7 years’ work experience with an international development organization, with focus on women and girls/gender equality programming.
- Proven experience working on normative change for gender equality and adolescent sexual and reproductive health in sensitive contexts
- Proven experience in designing, implementing and evaluating gender-transformative social and behavior change communication interventions
- Experience in implementing gender-transformative approaches to health
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team setting with minimal supervision
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Specific knowledge of international development and gender equality issues; experience engaging children and other community members on gender equality issues desirable.
- Strong organizational skills to work effectively to support multi-tasking.
- Demonstrated capacity to lead and inspire others.
- Adaptability and flexibility to adjust to changing schedules and priorities.
- Effective critical information gathering to create accurate reports.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, in English.
- Excellent analytical skills, and demonstrated experience with gender analysis.
- Fluency in any one of Hausa or knowledge of related languages an added asset.
- Good familiarity, networking and working relationships with relevant organizations.
- Ability to travel within the country.
- Programming experience in the North of Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
8th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online