Deputy Director, Research at Henry Jackson Foundation Medical Research International
Medical Research International is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Henry Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc which is a nonprofit corporation authorized by the Congress of the United States of America. The U.S Department of Defense Walter Reed Program Nigeria (DOD WRP-N) supports a military to military partnership with the Nigerian Ministry of Defence liaison office, the Health implementation Plan (NMOD HIP). HJFMRI through partnership with the Walter Reed Program Nigeria is actively involved in the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), and HIV Research activities. It is through this partnership, HJFMRI Ltd/Gte seeks to recruit a Clinical Research Physician with expertise in infectious diseases to support the DOD WRP-N research mission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Director, Research
- Directs/oversees daily operations of the WRP-N Clinical Research Centre.
- Designs, develops, implements and oversees the management of clinical research activities and protocols to support the DOD WRP-N mission in Nigeria.
- Supervises research staff in support of studies conducted at the WRP-N Clinical Research Centre and other assigned research protocols.
- Develops and maintains relationships with governmental, academic, and industrial partners to support the DOD WRPN mission.
- Examines, interviews, counsels and manages research participants in support of studies conducted at the WRP.N Clinical Research Centre and other assigned research protocols.
- Mentors and develops clinical research investigators.
- Identifies and expands intramural and extramural collaborations for clinical and translational research efforts.
- Analyzes data and prepares scientific papers for presentation at local and national meetings and for publication in medical and scientific periodicals.
- Works with the Finance and Operations team to develop budgets for the Clinical Research Centre.
- Ensures sufficient manpower for execution of Clinical Research Centre missions,
- Maintains/fosters communications with internal and external partners, collaborators, and senior leadership.
- Coordinates and directs all work of the Clinical Research Centre to ensure that all research activities are executed Inline with national and international standards and in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Provides managerial oversight to Clinical Research Centre staff.
- Provides technical advice and analysis for Improving research activities/initiatives.
- Maintains a safework environment with appropriate training of other personnel. Maintains medical license in good standing.
- Performs other dutiesas assigned.
Minimum Education/TraIning Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine and Surgery is required. A Fellowship in West African College of Physicians or National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria in Internal Medicine or Pediatrics is required.
- Postgraduate training in infectious diseases and/or HIV medicine is required. Training in Good Clinical Practice and Ethics is required.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, or Clinical Research wilt be added advantage.
Prior Work Experience:
- The incumbent must have eight or more years of experience as a Medical Practitioner, including at least five years working in medical research.
- Experience in protocol development, clinical trials and publication of research results is required.
- Language Proficiency: Level IV English (fluency in both written and oral) is required
- Licenses: Must be registered with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
- Supervision Received: Supervision by the Research Director.
- Knowledge: Incumbent must have knowledge of Infectious disease, transmission, prevention and treatment. Knowledge of clinical research especially investigational new drug development. Knowledge of applicable complex scientific procedures and techniques, and ability to troubleshoot technical procedures.
- Knowledge and familiarity with clinical research including protocol development, implementation and dissemination.
- Knowledge of Nigerian clinical research regulatory setting. including government and non-government settings. Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political, and ethical issues surrounding research activities in Nigeria.
- Supervision Exercised: Incumbent will exercise full supervisory responsibility of study staff; Medical Officer(s). Pharmacist(s), Study Coordinator(s) and Nurse(s). Responsibilities include monitoring and evaluating work performance. applying discipline. selection of new employees, and granting personnel.
- Skills and Abilities: Ability to organize and function within a learn to formulate budgets and programmatic descriptions. Ability to work independently and supervise/manage technical health section leaders/staff.
- Ability to work as part of a team. Must have managerial skills to supervise and manage staff. Ability to analyze, understand and navigate organizations.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) to include scientific/technical writing.
- Travel Requirements: N/A
- Work Environment: Office Environment/Clinical Research.
Annual gross salary range is NGN15, 000,000 – 18, 000.000.
Application Closing Date
14th December, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover letter and CV’s to: email@example.com
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email and phone call.